Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

NUTTIN' MUCH

Please pardon my enunciation today. I bit my wower whip wast night while twying to eat my suhher. When ya hear a “cwunch” ya know ya bit down pwetty haad. I’ve got a big ole bump on the inside of my whip. Ouch and daan.

I have ordered my laptop. I did seriously consider the Mac, but there is no easy access repair/help place without a 2+ hour drive. So, I’m going to give National Office Products in the Soo a plug here. I’ve dealt with them for years. I got my first computer from them in 1994 and have been with them ever since. Dan and I have to be in the Soo area later this month, so we’ll take my old one in to have its annual check up and cleaning and pick up the laptop. I am hoping that my old one is still in good shape. It’s been giving me problems lately and no amount of defragging, cleaning out files, etc seems to be making it any more responsive. I am not a computer geek and I get an instant gut ache when something goes wrong or I get an error message that tries to explain to me what I need to do to make it better. I ignore those messages and call National and scream for HELP!!!

I did have my choice of Vista or Windows XP. I am going with the Vista…I may regret it, but won’t know till I try it. Do any of you use Vista’s “photo program”?? If so, any pros or cons? It didn’t look to me like there was a lot you could do with it as far as fine tuning photos.

I know catering to winter guests is our bread and butter, but I will be glad when winter is over. I have purple toes again and I ended up with my face about swollen beyond recognition last night after I went out to feed the birds. I didn’t think it was that cold out and there wasn’t any wind so I didn’t cover my face. I couldn’t have been outside more than 10 minutes if even that long but by the time I came in I was miserable. I could see my face without even looking in a mirror and it burned like heck. It took several “dousings” with a hot, wet rag to calm my skin down and took quite a while to get it back to normal looking. This is the first time I truly got in a panic over my cold urticaria. I was so thankful that it did NOT affect my throat. That hasn’t happened to me yet. Dan was out grooming so I was alone while this was going on. I have found out that ice cream affects the inside of my lips, but what I need to find out if it is the ice cream that is doing it or the coldness of the spoon. We don’t buy ice cream a lot, but next time we do, I’ll have to remember to use a plastic spoon and see if it makes any difference.

Dan left to groom the south trail about 11 a.m. yesterday morning and returned about 3:30 a.m. THIS morning. I just cannot imagine spending 16 ½ hours in a groomer going 8 mph. I would be a basket case. I couldn’t do it for 5 hours! Don’t get me wrong, he is NOT the only “groomer guy” that puts those kinds of hours in, but he is the OLDEST groomer guy on the crew that puts those hours in! Neither one of us gets much sleep this time of year, but especially Dan. I don’t sleep well when he isn’t here and then I wake up, look at the clock and think “He should be home by now.” So then, I toss and turn until he IS home. By the time we talk for a bit, I’m wide awake…so I get up, make my coffee and start my conversation with you!

I have something to look forward to at the end of this week! WARMER TEMPERATURES!!! I don’t know if it has anything to do with the groundhog or not, but regardless, I AM looking forward to it! Maybe I can go to the mailbox without dressing up like Nanuck of the North!

Catch ya later!

7 comments:

  1. We had warmer temps on Sunday but it was so windy, hard to tell how warm it really was! Today, we are back to old many winter, just very cold and snowy. Ugh. I am looking forward to this week's warm up. Crossing my fingers. Funny how we get all excited about 30 degree temps!
    I like my Vista so far. Have not tried it's photo program. I am an Adobe Photoshop girl and am addicted to that. Currently PS Elements 7 is pretty cheap and you might like that to put that on your computer. I just have PS Elements 6 on my main computer and the laptop.Such a fun program! Looking to buy CS3 or 4, but would have to go on my main computer since this laptop's screen is just too small for picture editing. However, like your computer, mine is slowing down and could really use some more RAM space. Computers bug me too!
    Well I'm rambling here. Have fun with your laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I, too, have Vista and it works fine. I probably don't know enough about the computer to notice problems. I use Windows Media for my pictures but have been wanting to learn Photo Shop Elements.

    One of my very good friends from high school owns National Office Products in the Soo-Pat Doughtery. Have you meet him?

    I absolutely love having a laptop but it does lead to too much time on the computer at times. I gave my husband my old laptop and now he is hooked too. We watch tv while on the computers.

    Your problems with the cold sounds scary. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:48 PM

    Cathy - Vista is a major headache
    for me. the program makes things
    run very slow.

    get the MAC - seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DVM's wife and Brenda, thanks for your input. I feel a bit better about my decision of Vista.

    I may research the PS Elements. Currently, I use Google's Picassa and that has done OK for my little bits of editing...but I know there is more I COULD do!

    DVM's wife...I've still got PLENTY of room left on my computer so that is what worries me about why it is going so slow. The last defrag I did had files that could NOT be defragged so maybe Chris can fix it...I HOPE!

    Brenda, I may have met Pat, but usually when we're at National I'm on my way to see Chris in the computer lab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Cathy,
    LOVED YOUR TIDBITS THIS AM. THE PROBLEM WITH THE ICE CREAM WAS “ NO HOT FUDGE ON IT “ LOL

    A reader from Wixom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, I wished I'd thought of hot fudge! Good excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous Mac user...I have debated this issue for close to a year. If there was a Mac store/repair place much closer than Marquette, I would have gone that way.

    My computer is giving me the 'bomb' error things the last couple of days so I just hope I make it till the 17th with this one! And I hope Chris can make it all better! Can't reallly afford two new ones!

    Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive