Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, February 09, 2009

NEWBERRY IN DA MOONLIGHT

There has been a brilliant full moon the past couple of nights.

When I was a kid and there was a full moon, I always liked to keep my curtains open so it could shine on my bed at night. As an adult, I have enjoyed taking night walks with Dan in the winter during a full moon. But even that isn’t possible anymore due to my cold urticaria and purple toes. And right now, after the warm up and refreezing everything plowed out here is pretty darn slippery to walk on without grippers on your feet.

I have found out that a young family in our area has a little boy who has this same condition, only worse. They finally ended up at Mayo Clinic trying to get a diagnosis for him because local Drs told them various things; allergies, mold, colds. I haven’t had the opportunity to speak directly with the Mom. We have emailed but not to the point I’ve been able to find out what (if anything) they are able to do for the boy. I do believe she told me he was not on meds for this due to his age. His condition is worse than mine because it DOES affect his breathing if he is out in the cold. What young kid does NOT want to be playing outside?? They have to keep an “epi-pen” for him. In case you don’t know what that is for; Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction marked by swelling of the throat or tongue, hives, and trouble breathing. When it strikes, life is at risk. And time is critical.

The person suffering from this reaction has to immediately give himself/herself this “shot” from the epi-pen. It is also suggested that a person suffering from a condition should wear one of those bracelets. I never even thought about that…but there are so many people who do NOT know what cold urticaria means, so I don’t know what further explanation could be put on a bracelet. I really hope I get a chance to talk with this family. This had to have been extremely scary for them, not knowing what was wrong, getting incorrect diagnosis’s (spelling??) and now that they know what IS wrong, letting the little boy out of their sight for any length of time, especially this time of year!

So, no, I don’t have it so bad but (among other things) I miss being able to take moon-lit winter walks. Maybe while we’re in North Carolina or in Texas next winter I’ll be able to do that…without the snow. Nah, it just won’t be the same!

On a brighter note, there is an RV EVENT being held in Escanaba starting on Thursday through Sunday this week. Dan and I are going to try to attend. IT IS BEING HELD INSIDE OR WE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GO (again, due to the hives thing). Maybe we’ll find our perfect “dream home” on wheels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive