Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

THE TRAIL BETWEEN REXTON AND TROUT LAKE, MICHIGAN


Several years ago, one of our groomers (the equipment and the operator) got stuck in the swamp between CR 500 and the Falls. It was about a 3-4 day event to get it out. And it cost several thousand dollars; $6000 sticks in my mind. So, you can understand why NO ONE wants to be known as the "guy who buried a groomer in frog poop". A lot of people don't realize how much the tractor AND the drag weigh and just because sleds might be getting through, doesn't mean a groomer can get through.


So, with all of that said and with all of the cold temps we've had, Groomer Dan (hubby) and Groomer Dave left Newberry yesterday around 11 a.m. to try to groom trail # 473 between Rexton and Trout Lake. This hadn't been groomed yet because of the swamp. A lot of people also don't realize that all that snow on top of the swamp insulates it and KEEPS IT FROM freezing.


I was getting nervous late yesterday afternoon when I hadn't heard anything as to how it was going so I called Prez Bob and was assured they had made it through and they were on their way back through the swamp to make the return trip to Newberry. It was about a 13 hour run.


The photo does not show how "bad" this area can be. Dan took this photo of Groomer Dave coming up behind Dan through the swamp. I was very relieved when Dan got home in the wee hours this a.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive