Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, January 02, 2009

THE SNOW JUST KEEPS COMING!

The snow just keeps on coming and coming. Dan keeps on plowing and plowing. He has plowed 3 days in a row! The other day he had plowed 4 hours and by the time he was finished we had another 4” of snow!

I’ve been getting quite a few comments/phone calls/emails about Dan and me being closed next fall and winter. This really was NOT an easy decision to make and maybe it will end up being the wrong decision but I don’t think so….especially not after what happened to me this morning.

It was 24° and I thought I would try to help Dan out with some of the outside chores. He has been stuck doing EVERYTHING due to my hives and toes problems. I bundled up, took the cracked corn and a thing to scrap snow with off the corn feeder. I had my HEAVIEST boots on (by that I don’t just mean they weigh a lot but are supposed to be Arctic wear…again, yea, right). It wasn’t even windy. I couldn’t have been outside more than a total of 4 minutes and by the time I got in my face was on fire and my lips were somewhat swollen and my one toe (which is still quite purple and hard) was feeling numbish. I couldn’t wait to get all my winter garb off so I could put warm water on my face and throat and stand with my toes on the register. This winter has been the hardest for me yet. By the time Dan got in I was almost in tears. Then he looked at my face and said “You’re all red!”. I said ‘Yeah, no #%&^!” and I burst into tears. My crying jag didn’t last long but this is truly depressing.

And I am thankful that Dan and I are healthy people and I KNOW things could be so much worse but this IS hard for me. I feel guilty and I feel so frustrated.

So with this cold urticaria condition, it makes our decision easier and feels right. But closing our business down for the winter and no longer being the TASA secretary, that is hard. And I KNOW Dan will miss grooming. Ya know how some guys are about heavy equipment and with Dan being a “farm boy” he loves to run equipment. AND it makes him feel so very good when sledders give him a thumbs up or come up to him and say nice things about how great the trails are and what a good job TASA does.

I have done the Eastern U.P. trail report for MANY years and have made a lot of online friends as a result of it. Then came the TASA website and trail report and another one I do at www.upsnowmobiling.com. So, yes, it is going to be VERY strange not to have that involvement and to hear from my readers of the trail reports.

Since Dan and I don’t know if “going south” for the winter will be an annual thing or not, it just isn’t fair of me to try to keep the Secretary position or try to do the trail report “from afar”. And for those of you who have stayed with us for snowmobiling, we just might be open for the fall/winter of 2010/2011. Time will tell!

2 comments:

  1. What a small world I happened upon your blog. My husband and I own a camp just north of you on County Road 500 and live down by Lake Huron. We are heading up there next weekend. I've enjoyed reading your blog! Congrats on having the chance to head somewhere warmer next year! This has been such a winter so far!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, Glad you found Yarns!

    It IS a small world! And YES, winter has been a dozie (spelling??) so far. A few minutes ago it was snowing and blowing so hard we could barely make out the bathhouse in our campground! Actually, all we can see of it is the snow on the roof because Dan has so much snow stacked out here that we no longer can see beyond the snow banks!

    Is that a photo of a Husky? If you read back through any of my Yarns, you will read a post last January that I had my little Chewy put down and in May we had Nick (Husky) put down. It's been almost a year without Chewy.

    On a brighter note, enjoy your trip up! BRING WARM CLOTHING!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive