Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, January 09, 2009

NUTTIN' MUCH (SNOW-X RACES/SLED DOG RACES, NEWBERRY, MI)

We’ve had a roller coaster ride with the weather this week. One morning it was 6°, the next morning it was 20. Regardless, I still had to be a houseplant. Next week we are expected to have Arctic air with extremely cold temps, so I’ll probably be a houseplant with a jacket on.

But, I’ve got next fall and winter to look forward to, don’t I?? Yes, I am counting the months (haven’t gotten to the days yet). AND, yesterday, Dan and I each had a phone interview with the Army Corp of Engineers for positions in Texas! The interviews went quite well. The lady we spoke with told me that it was just a matter of deciding which BLM area to put us but she felt the choice was going to be between Lavon Lake and Bardwell Lake (not too far from Dallas/Ft. Worth area). I’m waiting for the information she was going to email us because Dan and I will have some input into which area we would like to finish out winter of 2010.

Among the questions she put to each of us was what we felt out strengths were and where we would best use our talents/skills. I told her that mine were interpersonal skills and office management as well as managing others. I went on to say that even though that is where my best skills are I still hoped I could have some time out of doors and not just in an office setting. She said that wouldn’t be a problem because all that was REQUIRED of us was for each of us to put in 10 hours per week, anything over that was “gravy” time. HOORAY!! She asked if I had any questions (by this time, Dan had to leave to go groom) which I did (anyone who knows me knows I have questions). We talked about internet access but my big burning questions were 1) will there be hummingbirds? 2) If there are hummingbirds can we put up a hummer feeder on our campsite? 3) Will we have a picnic table and fire pit? I didn’t think of those till later in the day so I emailed her (haven’t heard back yet). The only other thing left for her to do is to perform background checks on each of us. We’re not worried about that and neither is she. In our application we had given quite a list of references; the Luce Co. Sheriff, the Prosecuting Attorney, one of the State Troopers, a DNR officer to name a few. So basically, as I stated above, all that is left to do with this February 2010 through the end of March 2010 is pick out which place we will be!

Dan groomed the trail around Newberry yesterday, then down to Rexton and over to Trout Lake. He didn’t go down to Cut River. That trail had been groomed the night before and Dan said there was only about 4 sled tracks on it since that groom.

The Snow-X races are in Newberry this weekend. AND also the sled dog races which will be held at the Rainbow Lodge…not the Luce Co. Fairgrounds. When I was trying to get the info to update the calendar of events on the Newberry Tourism website, I went to the GLSDA (the sled dog race people website) and plain as day it said the race would be held at the fairgrounds. So, I hope no one show up out there waiting for the races!

Dan got home about 1 a.m. from grooming so I’m trying to be as quiet as I can. Sometimes he sleeps hard enough an earthquake wouldn’t dislodge him, then other times he says he can hear the clacking of my keyboard. I need a silencer on this thing! It makes me very conscious of how “loud” it can be!

Catch ya later!

5 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the info on the races up and around your area. We are heading up to CR500 area to our camp for the weekend and will keep eye out for all the race traffic. Sounds like a busy weekend for da' U.P.!
    Next week's weather sounds horrid and just too cold. I like the idea of being a houseplant with a coat on. Funny!
    Take care!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy, YES there are hummers,yours come down for the winter and lots just stay. I was in west texas and talking with (through her husband I cant speak spanish) about all the hummers she had around. I've never seen so many and so many differnt kinds ! She told me she goes through 200+ lbs of sugar a year.Im in east Texas about 4 hrs away from Dallas on Toledo Bend lake and having another one of those days going to be in the 70's of course by wed. supposed to be in th high 30's but thats winter around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don, THAT is good to know! Thank you so much! Possibly we'll be in the right area. I did a search on Texas hummers this a.m. and I never realized there were so many different varieties that could be found in just one state!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DVM's Wife; When I have time, I'm going to check out your blog more thoroughly. I thought the photo of your dog was a husky, but I see, from what little I've read it is a Corgi...boy was I way off!

    I feel badly about the misinformation I put on the NATA website re; the sled dog races, but last I checked, the GLSDA info still said fairgrounds.

    Have fun at your property

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don, one more thing...RUB IT IN! I oculd really go for some "mild" temps about now!! Although we DO have sunshine today and it was supposed to only be 17, it is already 22. Dan has left to groom again (I think he got about 5 hours sleep!) so I told him if it didn't get windy I was going to try my hardeest to get bundled up, take a shovel, go out and shovel off the cabin and Little Lodge decks! I MAY EVEN TAKE THE GARBAGE TO THE DUMPSTER TODAY!~ The trick will be to do it while the sun is shining and it isn't windy! Otherwise I'll be a bushel of hives!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive