Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, January 25, 2009

MRS. BEACH IS HARD AT WORK

Mrs. Hamilton Beach received a warm reception into our home yesterday afternoon. She was given her proper spot on the kitchen counter and received a spa bath consisting of running vinegar/water through her arteries. She sounds like a perky little thing and she is not as complicated to operate as Mr. Beach was. He had 4 buttons and 3 of them I never did use. She just has an off/on button.

I did receive an email yesterday reminding me that Juan Valdez actually had a donkey, not a mule. I knew that when I suggested contributions be made to the Mountain Mule Memorial. I just was so upset over the loss of my friend, Mr. Hamilton Beach, that I did not take the time to come up with some style of wording for a donkey donation.

So, I have my morning cuppa coffee and I have started putting my trail reports together. The first thing I do with the trail report is research the weather and write that up, then I go looking for other area trail reports that I include in my “main” report. Now, it is just a matter of waiting until someone is at the TASA barn so I can call and get the TASA trail conditions.

We are at 4° above this morning. If this is considered part of global warming, I truly hate to see what it is like when the arctic air arrives. We have been so cold, for so long…salt on the road doesn’t even help because it is so cold. But I can tell you once it warms up enough and they can start salting the roads, one will probably get high blood pressure from just walking out to the mail box DUE to all the salt.

Our Little Lodge guests check out today. The Lodge has been rented for 12 straight days…not the same people though. We had guests from southern Indiana for a week and then these fellows arrived the same day the Indiana guests checked out. So, we’ll have the Lodge to clean and all the bedding to wash. Currently it isn’t rented again till Thursday, so if you want to come up between now and then, it IS open. We also have both cozy cabins open until Tuesday.

The last piece of info that we needed to start on our income taxes finally arrived yesterday. So, I can take all that “stuff” to our accountant and hope for the best. No, I don’t do our taxes. What with depreciation and that kind of thing, I’m too chicken. I have enough trouble just figuring out the quarterly room/use taxes and getting that to come out correctly!

Dan and I are getting anxious to start looking at 5th wheels. There are two we have our eyes on. One is at General RV at their Whitelake “store” and there are a couple 5th wheels at Hilltop RV in Escanaba. We have seen others online at both of these places that we like the interior of (General RV has SEVERAL “stores” through out Michigan and in Ohio), but those are aluminum siding and we want fiberglass…with a “basement”. I really like the Keystone Laredo at Whitelake because it has a LOT of windows and the couch is in the rear of the unit. THAT gives you a bit of “counter” space at each end of the couch. Then there is the Jayco at Hilltop we like. The kitchen is one of the slide outs and has an island counter/cupboards. On the other side of the island at the back of the unit is a workspace so I could set up my laptop and printer there.

And soon I’ll be taking my computer in for its annual check up and cleaning and purchasing a lap top for us to take with us next fall/winter. I’ve heard horror stories about Window’s Vista but I’m too chicken to switch to a Mac after all these years of being a Windows user. Any hints you Vista users can offer???

Not much else happening this morning! Hope you all have had a most excellent weekend! Catch up with ya later! Please feel free to leave comments on any of the stories. YOUR comments make for interesting reading too!

PHRASE FOR THE DAY;

BIG WIG;
The fashion for wigs began with the Bourbon kings of France. Louis XIII (1601 - 1643) went prematurely bald and took to wearing a wig. By the middle of the century, and especially during the reign of Louis XIV, The Sun King, wigs were virtually obligatory for all European nobility and 'persons of quality'.

At that time they were known in England as periwigs, which were shortened to wig by 1675.
Wigs were expensive to purchase and to keep in condition and were the preserve of the powerful and wealthy. Ostentation was the order of the day in Bourbon France and over time the wigs became bigger, often to the point of absurdity and requiring of scaffolding.

It isn't difficult to imagine how the term 'big-wig' emerged to refer to the rich and powerful.

8 comments:

  1. I just received a Dell Inspiron laptop for Christmas with a Vista operating system and have had no ill side effects after being a Windows user for ions. Took some getting used to after using a mouse forever but really enjoy how portable and easy it is to use.
    Happy 5th wheel shopping! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DVM's wife...thanks for the input. Sounds like you and Vista are getting along OK. I've had XP since it came out (or shortly after)...and I'm like you about giving up the mouse! I wonder about the ease of that transition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be bold and celebrate the newness and adventure your life will soon bring (well, next winter anyways!); get a Mac!

    (I hope all is well. I just returned from UP there and raking 4' of snow off our roof. There is no mistaking this winter!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy!
    I ended up getting a new computer. Previously I didn't mind Vista - it just seems extra sensitive to perceived threats (when there are none).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shellmo...Vista is perceiving threats and not Norton (or whatever protection you use)? I'm not even looking forward to upgrading my MS Word program! I've read up on it and it sounds like, and I quote, "There is quite a learning curve".

    ReplyDelete
  6. ES, you probably even managed to work up a sweat getting that snow off the roof! Did the dogs have a good time romping in the snow? HA! They probably had all kinds of snowballs attached to their fur!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweat?! Why yes. Amazing one can sweat in single digit weather, isn't it?!

    Only brought one of the dogs. But he had a great time romping, rolling, digging, and disappearing in the drifts. I look forward to next visit when the birch's and ferns will be budding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ES, I am at the point this global warming winter that I would even welcome a swarm of mosquitoes and a few blackflies (but then we know I would tire of that rather quickly too..at least I COULD be out side though!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive