Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

LOTS OF EVENTS IN NEWBERRY, MICHIGAN!

Big doings are planned this weekend in Newberry!

Saturday and Sunday will be the first annual Mushers Fly-in Sled Dog Race"!

The Great Lakes Sled Dog Association (GLSDA for short) is holding the annual race in conjunction with a Fly-In at the Luce Co. Airport.

Sled dog races will consist of 4-dog teams traveling 4 miles, 6-dog teams traveling 6 miles and 8-dog teams traveling 8 miles. And there will be a Junior one mile race for kids.

TASA groomed the race course (thanks to Pres/Trail Boss Bob Brown for his early morning hours of doing this for the community).

The fly in portion also includes a groomed runway, thanks again to TASA and Pres Bob, for skiplanes. The Newberry Lions Club will be serving chili on Sunday.

Today is the Special Olympic Winter games in Newberry. There will be 18 athletes from Newberry, the Soo, St. Ignace and Rudyard competing on snowshoes and cross country skiing at the annual event which is held at the ball field off from M-28. (And thanks again to TASA's Pres Bob Brown for grooming THIS area too!).

Last year, the fly in was cancelled due to a blizzard but things look to be a go this year!

So, if ya happen to be in our neck of the woods, there's a lot going on!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:30 PM

    Hi Cathy,
    I discovered your blog when the Sleeper Fire was going on. You really kept me informed as my husband was working on a house not too far from the fire. I am a member of GLSDA and we had a great time racing our dogs. Thanks to the great trail and Luce Co Airport. We will see you again next year.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, thanks for your comment! I wished I would have had a "followers gadget" (see towards the top, right hand margine) when I was reporting on the fire! I was getting 2000 visits a day!

    Speaking of GLSDA, I update the Chamber calendar of events and also the Tourism website calendar and when I was trying to get info for the first race, I went to the GLSA site and it said THAT race would be held at the fairgrounds...only it was NOT. It was held at Rainbow lodge like always. Maybe you can bring that to someone's attention??

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:37 PM

    Hi Cathy,
    We had our race this year at the airport. They were great to us and plan on having it there next year, We had 3 years at Rainbow Lodge and this past summer they told us they would be closed this winter due to past winter conditions. As far as I know they are still open for business. Guess he didn't like us mushers as much as he thought he might. Will you still be doing the updates next year if you are gone? I will make sure someone gets the information.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, on behalf of Rainbow Lodge, they really DID think they would be closed due to the price of fuel and lack of winter business. It wasn't that they didn't want the event held there, I truly beleive that was not the case.

    But, yes I will be updating the websites for both the Chamber and the Newberry Tourism Association. If I have someone who can get those events to me early in the year, that is even better. I won't be updating any snowmobile trail reports though.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,
    Thanks for letting me know about Rainbow Lodge. It just had a lot of people wondering if they really wanted us there. It really was a nice trail they had for us there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, you are more than welcome. Kathy and I talked this summer about whether they would be open this winter and it all depended on what the price of fuel was doing. Business is bad up here this year because of all the snow downstate but they did stay open and hopefully it will work out next year for races there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive