Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, January 17, 2009

GOING NUTS IN NEWBERRY

The other day I posted info about Mad as a Hatter and where the expression originated. Here are a couple more for ya...and they describe my current state of mind!!!!!!

Stir crazy is a phrase that dates to 1908 according to the Oxford English dictionary.Used to describe inmates in prison, it referred to a prisoner who became mentally unbalanced because of prolonged incarceration. It is based upon the slang stir (1851) to mean prison.

It is now used to refer to anyone that becomes restless from being stuck in one place too long, with a similar meaning to cabin fever.

Cabin fever is an idiomatic term for a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when a person or group is isolated and/or shut in, for an extended period. Symptoms include restlessness, irritability, forgetfulness, laughter, and excessive sleeping. The word is also used humorously to indicate simple boredom from being home alone. The term was first recorded in 1918.

In fact, yesterday I was so bored I did some more tweaking on Yooper Yarns. I should have been working on figuring out new ways to promote the Newberry area in these disastrous economic times, but I couldn't get my thinking cap to produce more than a light puff of harmless smoke.

Anyway, if you look in the right hand column, you will see something that says "SLIDE SHOW". You can view the photos right here (move cursor over the bottom of a photo and some controls come up) or you can click on a photo to go to larger versions. Enjoy! (More will be added as time goes on!)

2 comments:

  1. Loved the slide show. It looks similar to the landscape I'm enjoying right now in Phoenix.

    How did you do the slide show? I would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SBW, you have to have a Google web photo album. Then you have to go to the gadget area of your blog dashboard and look for the slideshow gadget. From there, it is pretty simple; just follow the directions.

    Let me know if ya do this so I can admire your photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive