Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

BIRD BATH BOOGIE

MY GOD!!! WE ARE HAVING A HEAT WAVE!!!

It is up to a sunny 24°! I have been waiting for it to warm up enough that I could clean the winter “bird bath”. There was so much sea kelp and other “things” floating around in that “bath”, it was plain nasty looking. In case you are wondering how sea kelp can form in sub zero temps, it is because we have a heater in the “bath”…which needed cleaning too.

I got a pail of lukewarm water, my dish washing gloves and a rag I could throw away and headed out. The first thing that happened was I sort of slipped on some icy snow on the deck. I managed to break dance and boogie my way down the ramp. I spilled about 2 cups of that water on my jeans (which without delay soaked through my long underwear) and down onto my foot My shoes are waterproof…or at least are supposed to be. I suppose if most of that water hadn’t sloshed down the front of my pants and consequently under the tongue of my shoe, it would have helped immeasurably. But I was determined to see this through! I sure as heck would be able to make it another 10 foot without further embarrassment!

I pulled the heater out of the bird bath and let it “dangle” along side the post it is wired to. I wanted to scrub the heater as well as the bird bath, but I find fault with electricity, water and scrubbing. So, you may wonder, don’t I find fault with birds perching on said heater and drinking the water? I do understand transference of electricity, but I also understand that for most of this winter I have been setting off enough sparks from static that I could power our house for about 20 minutes. And when I take off my long underwear at night, in the dark, it is like my very own fireworks demonstration. Dan fondly refers to this occurrence as Northern Lights. I say “fondly” for the reason that he has to be cautious where and what I touch next…”sparks fly from her finger tips” (thank you Eagles for that line)

Anyway, I digress…I couldn’t bring myself to stand out there in the snow, water in my shoe and soaked through my long underwear to the skin, wet cloth in my hands trying to scrub algae off the heater….I just KNEW nothing good would happen (except maybe get my hair curled).

The birds have clean water, I’ve got dry clothing…all is right with the bird world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive