Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, December 15, 2008

IT STINGS YOUR NOSE AND BITES YOUR TOES

I got up at 5:30 a.m. because the rain was pounding the window so hard, I thought it was ice/sleet. I figured I better fill some pans up with water just in case we lost power. It was 35° outside, but 90 minutes later it was down to 24° and it just kept dropping like a rock. The wind was horrible all day with wind chills of approaching 0°. Trying to walk outside was like trying to breakdance on a buttered floor. I know…I watched Dan try to make it to the mailbox. He’s quite the graceful swan. But I figured if I had to go outside for ANYTHING it would be with my cleats on over my shoes.

Eventually, I looked out to watch the birds and out snow buntings had finally arrived! And there was no cracked corn out for them. I bundled up, complete with cleats and took corn outside. I couldn’t have been gone more than 2 minutes and by the time I got back in my face and neck was once giant red hive. I looked like I’d been in the sun too long while wearing sunglasses and some potent sun block around my lips…those area were startlingly white!

I had hopes that I was over my hives. I hadn’t been troubled by them in about 8 days (and no, I haven’t started taking the Allegra and Pepcid that the Dr from Utah suggested). My feet hadn’t itched and neither had my hands or other body parts.. It was a pleasant 8 days. The only thing that DID happen during those 8 days was the end of two of my toes had turned purple and hard and are slightly swollen. That use to happen to me years ago. At that time I was on a drug called Procardia which is supposed to help open the capillaries to your fingers and toes so this doesn’t happen. It had stopped happening so I haven’t been on the medicine in years. I told Dan the other day, I didn’t know which was worse; the hives or swollen purple toes! AM I ANXIOUS TO GO SOUTH OR WHAT???!!! YOU BET I AM!

Anyway, later this afternoon when my face had returned to normal (more or less!), we went to town to get groceries and run errands. I wore my cleats to town too. I sounded like a tap dancing troupe in the grocery store. Dan stayed quite a ways behind me in the store. I asked him if I was embarrassing him with all the clicking and clacking. He said “No, I’m just waiting for you to pick up a loose floor tile with those cleats. I want to be behind you when it happens…WAY behind you!”

2 comments:

  1. Our weather here (near Grand Rapids) yesterday but about the same. I somehow managed to stay home all day after a morning appointment was canceled because of icy roads. What a treat! We are leaving for Arizona on Jan. 7. We've decided that Dec. 1 might be a more sane date to leave the snow next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SBW, for starters, YOU HAVE SURPRISED ME!! All this time, I figured you were IN the Soo! Will you be spending the rest of the winter in Arizona??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive