Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

I'M SO EXCITED!

OK, friends, I can share something with you now that I’ve wanted to tell you about since Dan and I returned from our vacation. There was another group of people that I felt I should tell before sharing it with all of you.

I let it be known tonight at the TASA meeting that I would not run for the secretary position at the election this spring. It isn’t that my not running is a big deal, but the problem is that it is hard to find people willing to step up and commit to serve on a board. So, in fairness to the board and the TASA members, I wanted it known NOW instead of at election time the end of March. So this would also mean that Dan will not be grooming snowmobile trails for TASA next winter.

Dan and I have decided that for the fall/winter of 2009-2010 that we are going to close completely and head south. We are hoping that Santa will bring us a 5th wheel in the spring so we don’t have to spend 4-6 months in a pop up camper! Actually I KNOW we won’t spend that kind of time in a pop up camper!

There is a slim possibility that we MIGHT end up here yet next winter, but we are trying very hard to make our “dream” happen. We would come back in the spring in order to open up for the spring/summer and early fall tourism season. And with this condition I have (cold urticaria), it will be nice to be someplace where I might not have to worry about that.

I am spending a lot of time online researching various areas where we could get positions. There is one in particular that we are both very interested in and I don’t want to jinx our chances by telling you ALL the info about it just yet. But I will tell you it is in North Carolina and very close to the ocean. So then our concern wouldn’t be hives, but hurricanes…hmmm.

There was a position in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico working at a hot springs resort area that was VERY tempting; the Rio Grande River in one direction and the mountains in another. However, Dan and I don’t think we could go very long looking at cactus and “brush” instead of real trees and grass. We haven’t made up our minds on applying there or not.

It must seem like the fall/winter of 2009-2010 is a long ways off, but when you are trying to make plans like this, it really is not that far away. I have created folders to put in my filing cabinet as well as specific folders in my Outlook email program. I was getting confused as to who I had contacted and who I had heard back from. And some places require background checks while others just want 3 good references. Having been self employed for the past 16 years, it seems strange trying to “put ourselves out there”!


Each day brings new opportunities and I’m glad I have the time to do the research. And wherever we go, we will have a laptop to keep in touch and of course keep Yooper Yarns up and running!

5 comments:

  1. That is very exciting news Cathy. I'm sure your Yooper friends are disappointed. Hopefully, your 'yarns' will continue, no matter where you are writing from.

    Personally, I love the desert. Our daughter lives in Phoenix and we are going there for Jan. - Feb. My husband is like you. He would rather see trees. Best wishes as you research new areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SBW, Once our Yooper friends all find out, I guess we'll know how they feel. :-) It will be very strange (assuming this works out) not being here for the winter but now that we've made this decision, I wish it was time to go!

    We spent 3 1/2 weeks traveling N. Mexico and Utah area in 2004. The red rocks and canyons are amazing, but Dan and I didn't realize how much we missed trees until about the last 4 days of our trip. THEN it was like we couldn't get to a REAL tree fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:54 AM

    Cathy,

    Congratulations! I am truly happy for you, while at the same time, sad for me and all the other trolls that have come to rely on you for your fabulous, honest trail reports. Even though I've never met you in person, I always feel that I have a "friend" in the UP. Your being away for the winters will be a great loss to the snowmobiling community, but we all know too, that you truly deserve your get-a-ways after all the hard work that you and Dan have provided to us over the years. Thanks so much for all you've done for our sport and I hope that Santa brings you the "perfect" 5th Wheeler this Spring! May God continue to Bless You and Dan!

    Doogirl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doogirl, I think more than anything, I will miss all the email interaction I've had with all of ya. I'm not quite sure yet how it will all work out with the 3trail reports that I do. I'm thinking I MIGHT TRY to keep them up from where ever Dan and I end up. We will have a laptop and hopefully decent internet connection. It isn't that I don't feel someone else couldn't do the job, but the TASA website is now a self maintained website and we need someone with good computer experience to train to take that over if I'm not going to do it. And the other two trail reports that I do, that will be up to the owner's of those sites as to whether they want me to stay on or if they want to get someone else. We've got a lot to do and think about between now and early fall.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:19 AM

    Dan and Cathy, my family wishes you all thebest. We've gotten your email rpoerts for many years and feel like we know y ou. Hopefully we'll get a chance to stay with you this winter.

    Thanks for all you've done.

    Michael from Grand Rapids

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive