Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, November 17, 2008

TESTING, ONE, TWO THREE

I’ve been “otherwise occupied” the past couple of days preparing for a test. This isn’t the type of test you study for or get a grade on..well I guess you DO get a grade of sorts, ya pass or your fail???

Anyway, the test is over and I won’t have to do THAT again for ten years. And I passed. I think preparing for it is worse than the actual test. Hopefully by the year 2018 there will be a different “approach” to this test!

The weather wizards had predicted all kinds of nasty weather and snow squalls for us which never materialized. It is snowing lightly at the moment…and it is COLD!!!!

I know we’ve talked about the fact that if you find something you like, you should try to buy PA-LENTY of it, right? WHO EVER THOUGHT THAT WOULD APPLY TO LONG UNDERWEAR???

I swear by Morgan Arctex fleece lined long underwear bottoms and tops and they aren’t (or I should say WEREN’T) expensive. I use to get them at Wal-Mart for $7.00 top or bottom. They were in the hunting section of the store. I looked last year because after 5-7 winters (let me rephrase that; from late September to mid May sometimes) of wearing the same 3 pair, the fleece was gone and they were getting pretty thread bare. I wasn’t too concerned the last time I looked and couldn’t find them because it was early in the season.

I have since found out that Morgan has gone out of business, so there went my favorite long undies! BUT, I had time to do some searching and found a company by the name of Indera has picked up where Morgan left off and now makes these only they call them ICEtex (spelled just like that). The price is $2.90 more per piece, but it is worth it as long as they ARE as good and run the same size! Wal-Mart doesn’t carry them so I had to order from Amazon. OH, and another plus, they come in navy blue or white. I opted for the navy blue this time. I know I’ve told you I am not concerned in fashion, but the navy blue won’t look as “dingy” as the white does after several years of washing!

Dan is out still trying to find that elusive deer. Neither one of us have heard any shooting in our neighborhood at all. I haven’t had the radio on to listen to the “Hunters roundup” to see how many lucky hunters there are in the area. I HAVE heard of Yoopers going below da bridge and bagging their buck downstate! It use to be the other way around!

We have to leave before the crack of dawn on Wednesday for Iron Mountain. I don’t think any self respecting rooster will even be up at that time. Iron Mountain is one hour behind us and Dan’s first appointment at the VA hospital is at 9 a.m. their time with the other one at 10 a.m. We’re taking one of our coolers with us and heading to the Super Wal-Mart afterwards to stock up on some meat and other groceries. I may get our turkey while there too.

I’m doing something much different for Thanksgiving this year. We always bake a 20-22 pound turkey and stuff it to the gills (plus have a big dish of stuffing to bake). My daughter and friend always try to come up for Thanksgiving every year and she is not a turkey fanatic, so I’m getting a much smaller turkey and also baking a ham. I’m still making just as much stuffing though because we ALL like that! And I always make pumpkin pie and chocolate chip pecan pie. This year I’m adding just a plain pecan pie to that list because Jo isn’t fond of the chocolate pecan pie…and DAN loves it. It just seems hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just a bit over a week away.

Well, that’s what has been going on in our corner of the globe and I’m feeling a little drowsy yet from that anesthetic so THAT is a good excuse to hunker down under the covers and take a nap!

Catch up with ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive