Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, November 21, 2008

A HUNTIN' HE WILL GO!

A huntin’ he will go, he will march thru the snow…well, at least he will try to!

I’m referring to my hubby, Dan. Ya know there is a lot of snow when one has to put on snowshoes to go hunting!

He came back from our woods last night, pretty much plumb tuckered out…but there is a lot of snow out there to wade through!

This morning, in true hunting fashion, he donned all his garb, grabbed his snowshoes, a big walking staff and slung his rifle over his shoulder and out the door he went. If he’d have been able to find a hunter orange buffalo robe, I think he would have been more mobile. At 19° and windy, he did not want to get all the way out there to become cold. I’m sure just the walk “out there” is going to make him feel like he’s sitting on an old, wood cook stove.

About 5 minutes after he left, he was back. All I could think of is when ya get the kids all bundled up to go out and play in the snow and as soon as that last mitten is on, the kid says “I gotta go potty”. But that wasn’t why he was back so soon. He hadn’t even gotten out of our yard! Dan had tried to get his snowshoes on and couldn’t get them fastened properly over his boots so he had to come back INSIDE so he would see what he was doing and set down to do it.

Finally, he had the straps adjusted and was going to attempt to get out of the door with the snowshoes on. I was attempting to help him with this undertaking but he was too close to the door so had to back up. By the time he’d circled the door once more and was all lined up to head out, the big balls of snow that had been packed on the snowshoes was coming off in big clumps. I bent over attempting to pick them up before they had a chance to melt on the carpet. While I was doing this, he was trying to get out the door (still had to navigate the storm door). I didn’t realize that I was standing on one of the lengths of “strap” from the buckle on the snowshoe. Dan had one snowshoe about ½ way out the storm door and couldn’t get the other one to go, neither one of us realizing I was standing on that strap. “I’m just about ready to give up #$%!^ hunting for this season!” I stood up, with cold snowballs in my cold hands and asked him “What the heck is the matter now?” (By this time I was off that strap). He gave a mighty yank of that leg/foot that had been secured to the ground by my weight and about kicked the glass out of the storm door (it is a long glass, with a screen in the bottom). THAT surprised the both of us. In true masculine fashion, peppered with a few more expletives, he loudly articulated his evaluation on the quality of the door and how long that glass would actually last with “normal” wear and tear.

Well, he is off and in the woods someplace. I just hope the rest of his morning is better for him than the start he has had so far.

MY NEW FLEECE LINED LONG “UNNAWARES” ARRIVED LAST NIGHT!!! They are SO comfy and warm!!!! If you are looking for new long underwear, I strongly suggest these!

6 comments:

  1. I AM in the market for some long undies! Someone else todl me about the ones they like, and I checked and they are $25--just for the pants!

    And I just had to laugh at the snowshoe story. How much snow do you have there? Over here in Paradise we have at least 12", some spots more.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, it is ridiculous what some long underwear costs just for one portion! And where else but in da U.P. would you find women talking about long undies!

    Dan said there is about 2' of snow in the woods. Out in the yard, it is about 15" (but it is settling a bit).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:17 PM

    Hi-

    Just stunmbled across your site while trying to find Morgan Arctex undies. What a bummer that they quit making them. They sure kept me warm on my treks across the frozen tundra at MSU back in the day. I just placed an order for teh inderas....I sure hope they are as good as the Morgans!!! Thanks for the refeence to them...it was google that picked it up and brought me here!!

    Mike in Bay City.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike in Bay City...glad you found the site! And these Inderas are VERY COMFORTABLE AND WARM. The tail on the tops is even longer than the ones that Morgan use to make and the ankles to the bottoms actually cover the ankle. I don't think you will be disappointed. Read the washing instructions though; is says not to use fabric softener of any kind...something about ruining the antimicrobial "stuff". I don't think I'm going to worry about that, as long as my fleece stays intact! Let me know how you like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Got the Inderas and they have been keeping me darn warm out chasing the last deer of the season with my muzzleloader down here. I never thought that I'd be so happy about a pair of long underwear, but people who never had a pair of the original Morgans wouldn't understand. The Inderas are spot on! Thanks. Mike in Bay City.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, I KNOW what ya mean! They are so comfy and warm. As I said, I went with the navy blue instead of white. That way that English accented woman won't show up in my bathroom telling me I've got a case of the "dingies" and I need advanced alternative Cheer laundry soap!

    If you got your deer, these must be considered your lucky undies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive