Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

THE HAPPY COOKER!

Three pies in the freezer; a chocolate chip pecan pie, a Southern pecan pie and of course, ya gotta have the pumpkin pie (or punkin as my Grandpa called it). Tomorrow I will take out my hostilities on 4 loaves of bread and tear them up for stuffing. I will also chop up onions and celery for the stuffing. And I have to make potato soup for supper tomorrow night, along with making some breadsticks…thank goodness for the Pillsbury Dough Boy! I’m going to cook the ham tomorrow because there won’t be room for it AND a turkey in the oven on Thursday. Besides, the ham will be easier to slice when it is cold (and then warmed up again).

Our daughter and her boyfriend will be arriving about 4 p.m. tomorrow (Wednesday) as long as the weather and roads cooperate between here and there (southern lower Michigan). It worked out that the Little Lodge wasn’t rented so they will be staying in our Little Lodge while they are here. So, we’ll have a light supper of potato soup, salad and “homemade” breadsticks.

Thursday morning will find me making my coffee before doing anything else. Then it will be time to make the stuffing and stuff the turkey to get it in the oven by 9 a.m. I think all I have to do after that is make my cheesy green bean casserole (it is made with cream of mushroom soup and French Fried onions, but is different from the traditional green bean casserole), the Southern Sweet Potatoes (made with coconut, evaporated milk and pecans), get the cranberries out of the freezer so I can make that salad (with chopped apples, celery, marshmallows included). I have my Grandma’s old hand grinder and it works just fine for grinding up the cranberries. I think then all I have to really do is peel and cook the potatoes (I add a bit of sour cream to them when mashing them) and not forget the dinner rolls! I did that one year. Boy, it seems like I’m forgetting something at this moment, but right now, I don’t know what it is!

We all LOVE stuffing so I make PLENTY of it. As I told ya a few days ago, this year we only bought a 13 pound turkey instead of a 22 pounder. So there will be a LOT of stuffing that won’t fit inside that bird and will have to be baked in a separate dish. My best friend, Anne-Marie, gave Dan and me a toaster oven a couple of years ago and it gets put to good use on Thanksgiving.

As you cooks know; ya go to all of this work and it takes a couple days preparation…and in 15 minutes the meal is over and you are left sitting there with triptopan knocking at your tired body and dishes that need to be washed. I’ll be honest with you; on Thanksgiving, I don’t get out the good China. I don’t even get out the regular dishes. I USE HUGE CHINET DINNER PLATTERS! Hey, I don’t have enough time to spend with my girl as it is…I don’t want to spend that precious time doing dishes. And I AM one of those cooks that clean up as she goes along. While Dan is carving the turkey, I will have washed the pan and lid the potatoes were cooked in as well as the gravy pan and whatever else I can find to wash!

To the fella who emailed and asked for my stuffing recipe, I DO hope it works well for you and that you’ll let me know how your Thanksgiving meal turned out! You honored me by making that request!

Everyone else, enjoy the day, be safe and be thankful…things really could be worse.

I probably won't "see ya" again till Monday! I will be checking email though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive