Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, October 04, 2008

AND ANOTHER THING...

As I get older, I find there are some things I have more patience and tolerance for than other things. Then there are those things that just set me off immediately. And I have also discovered that due to some things bothering more than others, it affects what I do or don’t do or what I purchase or don’t purchase, etc.

For starters; kids today….ya can’t really blame them totally because they back talk or bad mouth anyone who gets in there way or even has the bravado to say “HI” to them. Dan and I experience more and more sullen, disrespectful kids who would just as soon throw their I-Pod at ya than to have a two word dialog with you…and when they DO speak, it is with an attitude AND THE PARENTS ARE RIGHT THERE! And they talk even worse to their parents! (Am I turning into MY mother??) Don't get me wrong, I like kids. We've got 3 of our own, but if they had EVER talked to anyone in that tone or with those words, there would be hell to pay.

Then there are the commercials that involve kids. The one in particular that bothers me shows the Mom in the kitchen with something in the microwave. The “dinger” goes off, she pulls a plate of pizza rolls out of the microwave, sets it on the counter, and the next thing ya know, her son’s hand comes crashing through the drywall and plaster and he grabs the plate….and she is OK with it! My parents would have marched me down to the local hardware (with my piggy bank in hand), made me purchase some plaster and tile and come back and fix that hole. And I wouldn’t have to worry about those pizza rolls because I wouldn’t be able to set at the table (or anyplace else) for a week!

And technology; I use to pride myself in knowing all the latest gadgets and how to work them and what acronyms really translated to. Heck, you know from reading about our new truck we were having difficulties getting THAT figured out! When did I misplace my “edge”?? Where did THAT go?? Is technology one of the things I no longer have the patience for?? I think it must be…because it has been one of the factors in deciding my newest “gadget”.

If you’ve been reading Yarns for a while, you know I’ve wanted to get a better digital camera than the one I have. One of my readers, a photography professor (Thanks again ES!) has been so very helpful and exceedingly patient while I’ve spent the last two years bugging him with camera questions and “what ifs”. I’ve just been riding the fence on making the purchase. I was 95% sure I wanted to get a Canon SLR digital camera. That way I could use the lenses I have for my 35mm Canon. Two things were holding me back; the price and having to learn all about that camera.

I’ve spent the last 3 days weighing the pros and cons of making that purchase and really trying to figure out just what it is I WANT from a camera. And yes, I even bothered ES a few more times. Basically what I really want is a camera that has an excellent wide angle, zoom lens and quick shutter action. Beyond that, I don’t want to take the time to “play” with f-stops and aperture settings. So, I decided a high quality point and shoot would be MY best bet….and I ordered it yesterday….and it is supposed to be here Wednesday. And the place I ordered it from is a place that ES had highly recommended so I feel safe on that count.

It is rated highly on a lot of areas and touts that it is very similar to an SLR without being an SLR. (in functions and quality of the photo, the optical zoom and being able to over ride some of the auto functions).

Getting a different camera meant getting a different camera bag and a new memory card. The cards I currently have won’t work in this camera, even though both cameras use xD cards and I can use my existing reader to upload photos to my PC. Anyway, I ordered a 2GB card (which I THINK I should be able to get about 400 images on).

After I made the purchase online and printed off the receipt, I noticed it states on the receipt that some things ordered may come from different places. I’m hoping all of this comes from the same place so it arrives on the same day. I know one thing that I won’t like is there is no paper manual…there is a CD manual, which does me no good if I have any questions while we are on vacation!

If it all arrives on Wednesday I will still have time to figure it out before we leave on the 18th….I HOPE!

Dan and I pulled the camper out of the shop yesterday only to find we will need to get a drop down receiver (or whatever the correct term is) in order to get our camper hitched up to the truck. Fortunately one of the two auto parts stores in Newberry has what we need…or so they say. So we ARE getting ready to go!

Today is FINALLY a sunny day! We’ve got a lot on our “to do list” while the weather cooperates. Yesterday, between rain drops, we removed the screen doors from the cabins, the bathhouse, and the Little Lodge. We also took down all of the swing seats and chains for the season. I know that doesn’t sound like much, but all I can say is that Dan and I are BOTH glad we only have 4 of the commercial (school type) playground swings for the big kids and only 3 of the commercial type “bucket” seat swings for the little kids. We also put the Yooper Shoes game away for the season. About a week ago, we had removed the volleyball net and the tetherballs. Now we need to start propping up picnic tables, do some limb trimming and other things that come with the end of the season.

This afternoon is the TASA annual party to honor the groomer operators. I will try to get a photo or two of the “TASA crew”…if the weather cooperates!

I would have a beautiful photo opportunity right now if it wasn’t for the position of the sun (NO, I’m not complaining about finally seeing the sun!). Across the road, there is a field and behind the field is a woods. The woods consists of hardwoods, pine trees, birch and poplars. The trees are almost in full color and there is steam rising off the golden weeds in the field…but with the position of the sun, you can’t even see the glorious colors of the trees….just use your imagination.

You all enjoy the weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:58 AM

    Cathy:

    Am guessing you bought a Canon. If so, we recently had a Canon "issue" that has been resolved beyond our wildest imagination.

    Camera is way out of warranty. All of a sudden all of our pictures were "purple." We thought it was just the card, but before we could get a new one, we began seeing purple and yellow lines in the view finder.

    First thought - there goes another couple hundred $$ for a new one.

    Husband was using Google to try and figure the mess out. I prodded him to use the word "problem" in his search.

    Bingo - found it right away. There was a link to Canon (several years old) and a notation that Canon was repairing these cameras at no charge, even out of warranty.

    We emailed them on a Saturday, and by Tuesday had a free shipping label. They have stayed in touch and fixed camera is expected any day now.

    That's what you call service.

    Ellen
    Gaylord and Munising

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! You were lucky that you figured it out! One reason I have stopped using my 35mm Canon is the pictures just aren't as "true" as they use to be. I've tried everything...even switching lenses didn't help so I figure it must be the camera and it must need a professional cleaning (which would probably cost me more than the camera is really worth).

    And I will wait to tell you all what kind of camera I purchased AFTER I see how pleased I am with it (notice I am expecting to be pleased!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:23 PM

    Must be you had an encounter with some rude kids this year. I am a waitress in St. Ignace and it ha gotten so I dread seeing kids coming in, especially if they are alone. I know all to well what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, I wouldn't get upset over "one encounter" but the one that happened most recently was when Dan asked a teen (probably 14??) "Are you having a good time?" (The teen and his family was sitting by their campfire), the kid replied "What's it to ya?" and continued poking the fire. The parents just looked on...How do you properly respond to that other than walk away and be glad that one isn't yours?

    I can imagine you can get the brunt end too. Tips don't always cut it when ya have to deal, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive