Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, August 11, 2008

NUTTIN' MUCH

Can some one interpret the following for me: “Your nature trail is beautiful, but it isn’t signed well where the trail is not at.” Hmmmm…..I know it IS signed well where the trail IS at, but signs for where it is NOT at?? I think this is the same person who should take this simple test to see if he can qualify for solo camping. Shine a flashlight into one ear. If the beam shines out the other ear, do not go into the woods alone….


And it seems our guests are having a streak of bad luck. I told you about the older gentleman and the curb, but I didn’t tell you that same night his car was brought back on a tow truck. Of course, it was a Friday night and raining hard. The problem had nothing to do with the curb incident but it was the following Tuesday before he could get the car repaired. Then just a couple of days ago, one of our cabin guests had their car towed back to Newberry. It just plain died on them in the parking lot at the Falls. They were able to get their car back the next night. Then yesterday some of our guests had been over to Seney Wildlife Refuge. On the way out of the refuge, a bear crossed in front of them so everyone was excited to have seen a bear in the wild. But by the time they got out on M-28 their excitement about the wild animals in these parts turned to disenchantment. A deer ran into their path and there wasn’t any way to avoid hitting it. The fellow managed to drive the truck back here, but the grill was gone and the radiator was leaking badly. Today a tow truck from Manistique arrived to haul his truck over to Manistique to a body shop that his insurance company recommended. I told him to be happy that it wasn’t a moose! He then told me that in Louisianna they have to worry about hitting mules. I told him I had no idea there were mule deer down there. He assured me there were not and that he was referring to MULES, as in a farm type creature! I wonder if they make a highway sign for MULE XING???

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:59 AM

    Cathy - My daughter last summer was doing an intership in Beatty Nevada, it's about an hour and a half northwest of Vegas.

    They have donkey crossing signs. With all the wild borroughs roaming around, the signs are needed. Nothing stranger for me to see a dead donkey on the side of the road - just like we would see a dead dear. Wonder??? if the mule crossing signs would show those large ears they have??

    Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathie, your post brought back an ancient memory! It seems that WE saw mule/donkey signs in Custer State Park in S. Dakota. I DO remember small herds of them stopping traffic and looking for hand outs! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive