Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

NUTTIN' MUCH

Dan planted some Morning Glories earlier this season. If we are lucky, we may actually have flowers before the first frost! They are snaking their way up the fence ever so slowly. The Morning Glories are right outside the office window so when we DO finally get flowers, I will be able to watch the hummers enjoy the nectar. Chewy use to love to stick her little bitty nose in the “posies” and smell them, so having the flowers is kind of a bitter sweet thing for me. When they are in bloom, I will remember my little Chewy standing alongside the fence with her face in a flower.

The Grackles are already starting to flock up! The yard is full of them. I don’t mind so much if they eat the bird seed that is ON the ground, but I DO mind when they start hogging the feeders. We have two squirrel proof bird feeders so when you get 3 grackles on the feeder; it closes so they can’t get the seed. We may have to reset the ounces so it closes with just 2 on it. If we make it any less than that, then when you get 4 or 5 little birds (the birds we WANT) on it, the feeder will close so THEY can’t get the seed. When the grackles are in the yard, the other birds that we WANT in the yard do not come to the feeders. Dan has put some cracked corn on the platform feeder so hopefully they will go to that instead…and eat grasshoppers and earwigs! Plus these grackles LOVE the bird bath…and they are dirty birds so I’ll be doing a lot of water changing on that from here on out.

Camping has improved vastly over the past couple of weeks. It still isn’t what it was even 5 years ago, but it much better than last August. BUT last August was the fire and business never did pick back up till late September. Remember, that first week of the fire, we lost over $1100 in reservations just for the first 7 days of August?? THAT was a full-size OUCH!

I feel it is going to be a very brilliant fall. There has been plenty of rain, the temps have been great (compared to the last 4 years!), and the nights are cool and some what dampish. Everything considered, the trees should put on radiant fall foliage this autumn. I think it is going to be one of the best fall color seasons in a long time…but I could be very wrong! As soon as I start updating the online fall color report, I will let you know! And don’t forget to check our website at http://www.northcountrycampground.com/ for fall color specials!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive