Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, August 16, 2008

NUTTIN MUCH MORE...

It has been an exciting couple of days!!! BUSINESS HAS PICKED UP IN A BIG WAY!!! It isn’t families with kids getting that last trip in before school (we don’t just get people from Michigan in which most schools now start AFTER Labor Day), but people without kids too. It almost seems good to have to get up in the middle of the night and check things!

We had a small problem in the bathhouse the other night (a shower wouldn’t shut off) so by the time we got back to the office it was about 9:30 and was on the “dark side”. Dan had driven out in his truck and I had walked out (try to get some exercise!). I walked up the ramp onto the deck and on the other side, on the ground by the steps was a skunk. About this same time, Dan was driving in to park his truck so he saw the skunk in the headlights. I didn’t dare try to get to the door to unlock it and Dan wasn’t too keen on getting out of the truck. I guess you could call it a 3 way stand-off. The skunk started moving towards the steps, so I started down the ramp on the other side of the deck. Dan got out of the truck and went around back of it. By this time I’d lost site of the skunk but Dan alerted me to the fact that it was now under the deck and headed my way. You would have been proud of this chubby old gal! I managed to jump the distance from the ramp to the door in a single bound!

We both got inside without any more hitches, but the skunk was still in the yard. Dan got the BB gun in hopes of at least scaring him off towards the road. He saw that the skunk was at the birdbath (it is one of the kind on the ground) getting a drink. Dan figured while the skunk was pre-occupied that he (Dan) would sneak out the door to the ramp and get off a couple of “plinks” and scare him off. Dan grabbed his trusty little gun, headed out the door and was met on the porch by the skunk coming up the ramp! Dan did the stationary panic dance that he has seen me do (when I’m surprised by a snake or a big spider). In Dan’s case I should not call it stationary because he was moving backwards at the same time. The skunk turned around and went the other way.

We know he is still lurking around but not much we can do about it….except be very, very careful when going out or coming in.

Don’t forget to check the calendar of events at http://www.newberrychamber.net/ or http://www.newberrytourism.com/. There are still quite a few things going on in the area between now and November!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive