Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, August 29, 2008

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE?

I have my coffee. I even have my lawn chair to put on the deck in the dog’s yard…but it is so foggy you can’t see 2 foot beyond your face. Not much sense sitting outside in the dark, damp, fog. So, here I am!

We have a young couple who is spending their honeymoon camping here over Labor Day. Very nice young couple…but it seems problems are plaguing them. Or maybe this is their family and friends idea of an old fashioned belling without actually being here to do it.

The first dilemma they have encountered (that WE are aware of any way) is their air mattress for their tent. The young couple asked Dan if he had an air pump and would he blow it up for them. He was glad to help. The problem is there is no cap to put on the mattress after you get it filled with air! It had broken off some place and they couldn’t find it. Dan looked in his little shop of horrors (well, that is what I call it because I can’t find anything when he sends me after something) to see if he had something they could use. He came up empty handed. So, off they went to town in search of another air mattress.

They came back a while later, headed to their tent and it appeared they had found an air mattress. This REALLY astounded me they would find what they needed that quickly in Newberry. More often than not what you need has just sold 5 minutes ago.

About an hour later they went out the driveway, headed towards town. Maybe about 30 minutes later they were back and came in the office. They had been in town looking for a tent! The zipper broke on their tent so they now had to way to close it! The couple had found a tent in town but for the cost, it wasn’t what they wanted and hoped that we had a cabin for the night. I told them we had a cabin available for just one night and gave them a deal on it….by now, they needed a break! Their plan is to head to the Soo this a.m. and get what a new tent and do some sight seeing. I hope today is an uneventful day for these two newlyweds!

By the time our actual vacation rolls around, you are going to be sick of me talking about it! But just think; you will have 2 or 3 weeks where you won’t hear a peep out of me! We won’t be too far from Lynchburg, Tn....and look what I JUST found!!

On Saturday, October 25, 2008, Jack Daniels Distillery and the people of Lynchburg, Tennessee, will host more than 60 award-winning barbecue teams at the 19th Annual Jack Daniel?s World Championship Invitational Barbecue. The Jack Daniel?s Invitational is one of the most prestigious barbecue competitions in the world. Teams from across the United States and around the world compete in the categories of Pork Ribs, Pork Shoulder, Beef Brisket and Chicken. They may also choose to enter the "Jack Daniels Sauce" (these sauces must contain a little of our hometown product), and Desserts (only rule ... nothing store bought!) categories. International teams enjoy being especially creative by entering their "Home Cookin? from the Homeland," while our U.S. championship teams do the same with their "Cooks Choice." And on Friday afternoon, seven of these world-class teams will compete in our unique "I Know Jack... about grillin?!" competition.

EEEHH-HAAA!!! Sounds like something we should attend! And take a lot of Wet Wipes for our face and hands!

All of this reminds me of one of the times we were camping in a State Park in Georgia. I can’t remember which one it was, but it was famous for water falls and kayak races (which we had just missed). When we checked in, I asked the attendant at the gate if he could recommend a good place to eat. He said “The best place is Onkers. Great food!” I asked if he could tell me where Onkers was located. He looked at me like he was upset and said “ONKERS (side note; he heavily emphasized ONKERS to make sure I understood him) is two blocks west of here”. I asked what kind of food was served at Onkers. I got that same look again and he said “Here is a menu for ONKERS” (again, emphasizing ONKERS!). He handed me the menu, and on the front of the menu was a cartoon rendering of a little piggy and the name of the restaurant which was OINKERS (as in the sound a pig makes; oink,oink)! Not Onkers. His southern drawl made it sound for all the world like he was saying Onkers. He probably thought I was making fun of him!

1 comment:

  1. I hope your couple has some luck here in the Soo. We do have a Dunhams that might be able to help them.

    It is a foggy morning here too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive