Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, July 04, 2008

TO FLEE OR NOT TO FLEE

I believe with all my heart that I am evolved. I am evolved from that first woman who knew in order to save her skin she had to outrun her husband on their first hunting trip together (probably after a saber tooth tiger). As long as SHE was in the LEAD of this food seeking event and there was still someone running behind her, she would be OK. So I also believe in “fright or flight”.

Which is what happened yesterday….

I took some time to sit on the deck and watch what few birds we still have in the yard (remember, the feeders are down but the bird bath is still there). While I was peacefully sitting there admiring our park and listening to the birds, I suddenly felt something fluttering on the back side of my head! I realize not much time passed during this incident, but I had time to think LARGE moth or rabid bat?? Not wanting to take any unnecessary chances, I swiped at this fluttering thing on the back of my head (FRIGHT) and a baby tree swallow landed on the deck at my feet (FLIGHT, well sort of a flight). We were both surprised! Me, because I didn’t realize my hair style resembled a bird house with a nest in it and the little bird for obvious reasons.

Dan happened to be coming up the sidewalk about that time and I told him we had a baby tree swallow on the porch. There were many mature tree swallows flying all over the yard with their babies so we didn’t know who he/she might belong to or where we could safely put the little bird…or if it could fly any further than to my head.

Dan gently carried the little bird out to where there seemed to be the most adult bird activity and sat the little bird down. He ruffled his feathers (the bird, not Dan) and flapped his little wings, Dan cleared him for take off and he managed to fly to a pine tree by the Lodge. So we are hopeful that the right parents found him before any other creature did…and if that is NOT the case I do not want to know.

It is fun to watch the swallows try to convince the babies it IS time to leave the nest but I always worry especially about the baby birds. It’s a cruel world out there (especially if the little thing can’t tell the difference between a head of hair and a nest!). The adult swallows were chasing a hawk over head yesterday but they can only be in so many places. They were even chasing blue jays out of the yard.

Last year by this time most of the swallows had already left. We’re curious as to whether they will stick around longer this year and maybe try to raise another brood. Last year was one of those HOT, HOT summers, there weren’t as many insects (for food) and the babies hatched earlier than this year and they all left.

The hummers must be busy with babies in their little nests because we aren’t seeing them as frequently. Hopefully soon their babies will be able to fly and come to the feeders.

Hope you all have a glorious 4th of July and be safe whatever you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive