Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

THINGS THAT GO BUZZ AND THINGS THAT ARE FUZZ

Say, did ya miss me??? Well, I missed you guys!

Actually we’ve been busy mowing dandelion stems and blowing around cottonwood fuzzy stuff. I looked like Santa when I got off the big mower today. I finally broke down and put Deep Woods Off on and the dandelion and cottonwood fuzzy stuff was blowing back on me. Then it stuck like glue. I swear Dan had one eyebrow that was 4” DEEP. One, big, white fuzzy eyebrow.

We have been so spoiled the past several summers with NO bugs to speak of. This year we do have mosquitoes and while they seem bad (because of not having any for so long) they aren’t as bad as they have been in years past. I did put on my mosquito net, AKA Helmet, but it is hard to see where I’m going when heading into the sun. Some manufacturer MUST make one by now that doesn’t have that glare. Mine IS pretty old…and it is all white and fuzzy too.

Speaking of mosquitoes; we have had a harder time with them IN our home than OUTSIDE. At least outside there has been a pretty good breeze which helps immensely, but inside, even if there are only two mosquitoes they find ya and it is always when you are trying to sleep. So, instead of spraying the bedroom, I tried this “sure fire method” for getting rid of mosquitoes. I don’t know if this was a Martha Stewart idea or Joe Blow’s idea; I’m thinking the latter. I got a little white saucer and put some water in it, added a few drops of lemon scented dish soap and waited for the magic. According to everything I read, mosquitoes within a 2 mile radius would be dropping dead or drowning (no two directions had it the same as to how the mosquitoes would be disarmed.) There wasn’t one darn mosquito in that dish and there were two in the bedroom that buzzed us pretty much through the night. I would have had better luck had I gotten an old garter and tried to snap them as they flew past.

We couldn’t figure out why we had numerous mosquitoes in the house (there were more than the two) but the light was finally shed today where they were coming in at. I had done a load of laundry and took it out of the dryer. As always, I pulled out the lint trap to empty it and about 50 mosquitoes came out with it! Dan checked the “flapper” thing on the outside where the dryer is vented and it was not flapping closed. He said the mosquitoes were THICK at that thing! Why shouldn’t we be surprised they’d be coming in through the dryer; after all I had a mouse who was planting sunflower seeds in the top part of the washer (where the water comes in) and they sprouted!

I need to give a pat on the back to a company that Dan and I order shoes from. I think I have mentioned this company before due to their very generous exchange policy. If you go to www.onlineshoes.com you will find the store to which I am referring. They carry ALL brands and all kinds of shoes.

I placed an online order with them on Sunday afternoon, received my confirmation that my order had been placed and that the New Balance shoes would ship within 2-7 days (my shoes) and the Merrill shoes (Dan’s) would ship in 4 days. Today I received an email confirmation that MY shoes, the New Balance shoes, had been shipped. They included my tracking number and explained that I wouldn’t actually be able to track it till later today. I figured in a couple of days I would receive a tracking # for Dan’s shoes.

As we were headed out to mow and do battle with bugs, the UPS truck pulled in. Dan said to me, “It must be your shoes.” I told him that wasn’t possible and explained why. Well, it is DAN’S shoes! Now, is that service or what??!!!

I am very anxious to get my shoes. Since this whole episode with my ankle, I’ve been doing a lot of research trying to decide whether I need to see a podiatrist or an orthopedist. I’ve decided to go to my orthopedist. I still think some bones “shifted” due to all that standing on concrete for two days. As I explained before, I have flat feet and overpronate so I buy very good shoes with built in “roll bars” (to help with the overpronation) and I purchase Orthoheel orthotics for the flat feet and to help align everything. I did more searching trying to find podiatrist recommended shoes, maybe there was something “out there” better than what I have been buying (but the shoes I had on the two days we were working in the bathhouse ARE about 4 years old and probably the “rollbar” isn’t as good as it use to be). I came up with 4 “top choices” and since I swear by New Balance and New Balance had two on the list that is what I went with. The one I purchased is actually a running shoe. No, I don’t run, but walkers CAN wear running shoes, but runners cannot wear walking shoes. I read several recommendations from people who had tried this particular shoe and several of these people seem to be suffering from some of the same issues that I do and others were people who had broken bones in their feet and went to this shoe and swear by it. So, I hope it helps!

Guess that is all for now except to remind you to include a stay with us this summer! We offer camping AND lodging! We haven't been mowing grass and dandelion fuzz for nothing ya know!

2 comments:

  1. We are having many mosquitoes here in the Paradise area as well. We keep hoping for windy days just so they aren't so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, They were pretty bad last night (well between 6-7) even with a good breeze. As I said, we've been spoiled the past several summers. I USE to be able to take my morning coffee out and sit on the deck, listen to the birds, watch the hummers, etc...NOT THIS YEAR! AT least not without dousing with Off first! I told Dan maybe it is a good thing there ARE no campers yet because I'm sure they would all be complaining. The few we've had so far said "You guys must be use to these bugs"...NOT REALLY. We know that Off doubles as our perfume and aftershave when it is this bad! Plus we don't WEAR perfume or aftershave when it is this bad. Haven't seen any ticks yet so that is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive