Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, June 20, 2008

NUTTIN' MUCH

What would you think if you went to the Dr and he asked you to remove a certain article of clothing, left the room while you were getting comfy, came back in and looked at the area in question and said “WOW!!!” and as he is saying “WOW!!!” he is shaking his head in what I wasn’t sure if it was amazement or admiration???

Then he asked “Does the other one look like that too? Boy that really spills over!” I didn’t know whether to be humiliated or feel like I was a medical discovery! Oh, by the way, the area in question that I had to unclothe was my foot. HA! GOTCHA!

I finally had my appointment with the orthopedist in regards to what is wrong with my foot/ankle. The comments he made were because my foot is SO flat and it does “spill over”. It is a lot flatter NOW than it was before this “incident” that landed me on crutches. He explained what has happened and why it hurts my Achilles tendon, my heel and basically just is a miserable thing and that I HAVE TO GET REAL ORTHOTICS. Not the kind ya buy online. He also is concerned that my foot is to the point that it might require surgery but hopefully the orthotics will work well enough that we won’t have to go through that. I didn’t even ask what is done surgically to help with my type of a foot; I don’t want to know because I just can’t believe it would be a quick recovery.

We’ve had two miserable days of yucky, gray, wet weather. Today is supposed to be our big break and start to look, feel and act more like summer! The dandelions have finally come to about a standstill. The campground is looking good! Well, except for not having but about 4 campers per day it is looking good. We are seeing a bit more traffic heading north and it sounds like some of the motels are picking up a bit more business.

We received our propane buy ahead letter yesterday from Bowman gas. Last year it was $1.79 per gallon. This year, the commercial rate is $2.37 per gallon. The minimum purchase is 400 gallons (a drop in the bucket for our business) and we cannot purchase more than the 1326 gallons that we pre-paid for last year. AND last season we did end up purchasing another 400 gallons in March so we actually used 1726 gallons of propane from October to March….and that did NOT include the 200+ gallons we put in the tank by the bathhouse in May. It makes one wonder if it is really worth staying open through the winter, especially if the economy and people NOT traveling continues the way it is. Last year was a perfect winter for snowmobiling; our area had SO much snow and the trails were great! However, because there was snow downstate, not as many sledders made the drive to the U.P. I wish someone had a crystal ball to let us know if there would be that much snow in the U.P. again this year, and NONE downstate. The way the weather has been this spring so far, it makes ya wonder what Mother Nature and Old Man Winter have in store for us.

And on that note, I have to say, I feel greedy worrying about how WE will be affected by the weather. I pray every night for all those people and animals affected by all the flooding taking place in other areas of the U.S. Those of us who are high and dry are very fortunate and we should give thanks. I believe everything happens for a reason, but when something like this happens, I can’t even begin to think what kind of a reason there could be. People’s lives and homes have been totally destroyed. The word sad doesn’t even begin to cover it. But our thoughts and prayers ARE with all of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive