Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, June 08, 2008

IT IS TOO QUIET IN THE U.P. OF MICHIGAN

It is eerily quiet. Dan and I feel like we’ve been transported from M-123 to a two track out in the woods that doesn’t see but about 4 vehicles a week.

There is hardly any traffic on our road. It seems even the locals are making less trips. And there are NO, NONE, NADA, logging trucks. I can’t remember when the last time was I heard or saw a logging truck go past. And not only that, our neighbors are loggers so we ALWAYS heard their trucks leaving in the early morning, sometimes it was scarcely getting to be dawn. We haven’t heard that familiar clatter. One can only assume it has something to do with the price of fuel.

We usually see RV’s and various campers headed north. We assume, for whatever reason, they are headed to the Falls State Park to camp. We always saw a lot of motorcycles too and hardly seeing any bikers this season. In fact, the past 3 years we have had a LOT of motorcycle campers and we don’t have any reservations for anyone traveling by motorcycle.

Did you see on the news that some places in California the price of regular is already $4.99 per gallon?? It has gotten so I cannot stand to listen to the TV anymore, not unless it is a sitcom of some kind. And what gets me is it seems to me that the “powers that be” aren’t as upset by all of this as you and I are (well, I assume YOU are). Heck, they have jobs and they can afford gas and probably pay someone else to fill up their tank and drive them around.

Anyway, I digress…on to something other than woes.

I LOVE my new shoes!!! They felt good from the moment I put them on! And they do provide a lot better support (especially around the ankle) than my other ones did (and I don’t just mean my worn out ones). I didn’t even use my ankle brace yesterday. I would highly recommend these shoes to anyone who has feet or ankle issues. They are New Balance # 587. I am going to keep my appointment with my orthopedist though on the 18th. Something IS wrong inside my foot/ankle and I’m hoping it is something that can be easily corrected; that I haven’t walked on it too much since this happened that I’ve messed it up more.

It seems all we do is mow. So far we have spent $120 just for mower gas! It isn’t so much that the grass needs mowing as it is those $#@%^ dandelions when they go to seed. I know we had this same discussion last spring but it does NOT make any sense to me that you can mow those things OFF (the heads are gone, the stalk is broken) and the very next day they are there again and it looks like you never mowed! I even push mowed our yard (wrong thing to do for my foot, I know but I was desperate to get rid of those things) and went over certain parts of the yard twice with the push mower. Two days later, you can’t even tell I mowed! We’ve talked about getting some of that stuff you sprinkle (I think it is in granular form) on the lawn to kill off the dandelions but we’d need a ton of it to do the whole park. And I don’t think we could afford it….not with only one camper per night! I told Dan it seems like such a waste of our time and gas money to be mowing when there is no one here to enjoy our park BUT IT LOOKS SO UNKEMPT IF YA DON’T DO IT. We take pride in how our park appears to others, even if they might just be driving through so we keep mowing. Hopefully the dandelions will be done soon.

Oh, as far as the mosquitoes; I was on the big mower about 7 hours yesterday and I did NOT have to put Off or my “helmet” on. I did put some garden gloves on though because I was having problems with deer flies who kept biting my hands. We tried to sit on the deck for a while last night and could have if we would have put Off on. They weren’t THAT bad, but bad enough that ya didn’t want to set there without protection of some sort.

And one other thing I want to clarify; the story I wrote about the people running into the sign…I wasn’t so much upset that they ran into the sign (accidents happen) but that they were not going to tell us about it. This happens SO many times. We watched someone back into the heavy pole the stop sign is on and it is now in the shape of a horseshoe. The guy knew he did it; he got out and looked at his truck….then drove off. Never bothered to say anything. Another person hit the fence by the dump station and broke part of it and never said a word. Someone else ran into the privacy fence around the Little Lodge, broke a panel and never said a word. Then there was the person who checked out, left with his trailer and hit our MAILBOX….oh well….BUT he DID own up to it and paid for a new box and post. AND, one of our faithful guests from North Carolina who was here last July some how broke the faucet on this campsite, went to town and bought a replacement, came in and told us and even helped Dan replace it (which involved shutting the water off to the campground in order to change the faucet). So there ARE those who do let ya know.

2 comments:

  1. I think the gas prices have lightened the traffic to northern Michigan. I'll be in Munising next weekend - looking forward to visiting da U.P!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shellmo, have a safe trip up and bring a bevvy of campers with you and direct them to our place!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive