Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW??

Yesterday afternoon, I was watching TV. Dan was out tilling in preparation of planting his garden (assuming it doesn’t frost any time soon). Channel 9 & 10 had a weather bulletin which included thunderstorms and penny size hail. It was expected to hit 4 Mile Corner (1/16th of a mile south of us) at 1:51 p.m and be in Newberry (4 miles south of us) at 2:08 p.m. That gave me 10 minutes to hobble out to inform Dan.

Dan has had his garden planted about 150’ behind the pole barn for the past several years. Now, I know that doesn’t seem like far to hobble, but the sky was menacing and it was starting to sprinkle a bit. I had about 400’ to hobble. All the way out there I kept thinking “This must be how Chester, from Gunsmoke, must’ve felt when he’d take off like a herd of turtles after Marshall Dillon.” I also was thinking “I hope I don’t find any holes to step in.”

Any-hoo Dan was about done tilling but of course he just HAD to stay and finish those last two swipes. He managed to get it done and back to the barn before the rain cut loose. We sat on the deck (we have a roof over part of it) and watched the rain and BOY did it rain. Fortunately we did not get any hail or high winds, but we certainly don’t need any rain for a while!

In your home, do you have this conversation?: “CAN YOU TURN THAT TV DOWN A BIT??” or “I CAN’T HEAR YOU OVER THE TV, WHAT DID YOU SAY??” We’ve had this conversation quite frequently for the past couple of years…it is me asking Dan these questions. He FINALLY got a hearing test through the VA and he did need hearing aids. That was close to 3 months ago; we’ve been waiting ever since for the authorization from the VA to get the “aids”. A week ago Tuesday, a years supply of batteries for hearing aids arrived in the mail, so I called the VA in Iron Mountain to see if Dan was eventually going to get his authorization number to go to the Soo to get the aids (not much sense having batteries if ya don’t have anything to put them in). The authorization number arrived a couple days later so we were able to set up the appointment for this past Monday for Dan to get his ears! WHAT A CHANGE!!! I was afraid he would get them and not wear them but so far he is wearing them faithfully (except for mowing or running equipment which would make it WAY too loud).

His first night with them we were sitting on the couch talking about how long the batteries lasted. He said the gal in the Soo told him they last about a week. At night when he takes his aids off, he is to open the “battery compartment” which we assumed was to help save on the batteries. Being the energy conscious person that he is, we talked about other ways to help save on the batteries (even though the VA does supply them, why waste them, ya know??). A while later I said something to him and he didn’t respond. I could see he had his ears on so I asked him again (sitting right beside him) and he didn’t respond. So I poked him and he turned to me and said “Huh??” I said “Can’t you hear me?” He said “Oh! I stopped listening to conserve battery power!” What a nut. Oh, he did say mosquitoes are a lot louder now than they use to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive