Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, May 08, 2008

WE'RE GOOD TO GO!

YEAH!!!! Our water test arrived yesterday by email!!!! We’re good to go!!!! Now, if the weather would just cooperate and not get down in the 20’s at night, we’d consider turning the water on to the campsites!

And the parts we needed for the TempControl still have NOT arrived, but GUESS WHAT??? Dan found an extra set last night!!! So today we can at least get the bathhouse put back together and open it!

We have had what I would call a wet spring so far…at least compared to the past several years. So with that, one would normally be concerned about mosquitoes and black flies (the black flies were pesky a couple of days ago when we were clearing out more trees and brush, but they weren’t biting, just wanted to be in your face). HOWEVER, WITH THE COLD TEMPS I HOPE THEY HAVE FROZEN OUT THEIR POPULATIONS!

I have frozen hummer feeders this a.m. but I guess that is OK, because there are no hummers in our yard yet. Last year by now I had one lonely female (which was odd because the males always show up here first). No crazy orioles either.

We are going to get an appointment for Nick to have X-rays next week. He seems better, but there is something going on other than “old age” or at least we feel that way. No amount of bran/fiber in his diet seems to be helping THIS problem. Just having X-rays will be hard for all of us because we will have to leave Nick. They will have to knock him out to do the X-rays otherwise he will NOT cooperate. He won’t be mean, but he will not lie down just because you want him to. If you know anything about the Husky breed you know they are fiercely headstrong. So the hard part will be leaving him there in a cage. He will be scared and think he has been abandoned. I’m going to ask if I could try to give him a couple of Xanax that morning before we bring him in. I’ve still got Chewy’s supply left.

Well, time to refill my coffee mug/jug and get some breakfast so we can tackle the bathhouse. OH, yesterday I called Bowman Gas and asked them to fill up the tank at the bathhouse and the one at our house…I didn’t even bother asking what the cost is by now. When we bought ahead in October, it was $1.79. We’re at 30% at the bathhouse and about 50% at our house so I’m looking for a BIG ouch.

No one has responded with any brown eggs in the Newberry area! I CAN get them at the store, but they are those organic things and I would like just plain old, home grown brown eggs!

BTW, check out our website at www.northcountrycampground.com for camping specials we are offering for May and June!

Later!

2 comments:

  1. Buckeye Paul10:38 AM

    Cathy,

    I have just recently found your blog and enjoy it very much. My friend and I visit the Newberry area annually and its is good to hear about what is going on with the weather and town. We will be up there in about 4 weeks to do some canoeing and fishing. It was very exciting to read that it is actually possible for the black flies to be "frozen out"!!!! I'm not sure if that is just wishful thinking. I hope your Husky starts feeling better soon. I look forward to reading more.

    Sincerely,
    Buckeye Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buckeye Paul, Glad ya found the site! I hope you will find time to read some of the archive posts!

    So far so good with the bugs! Fingers are crossed, but I have two cans of OFF just in case! Ya do know that OFF doubles as Yooper perfume and after shave, right?

    Nick, the Husky, is going for X-rays next week. It is about the last thing we can really do for him as far as trying to find out what is going on, if anything. Thanks for the well wishes.

    If you are looking for a place to stay we ARE OFFICIALLY OPEN TODAY!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive