Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

NUTTIN' MUCH

Some of you know I love to read and that we have a “book exchange library” in our lobby (makes it good for our guests AND me!). Occasionally I get “excited” about a book and like to share that title with you. This one is ON AGATE HILL by Lee Smith (BTW, Lee is a woman).

This book follows the life of a Molly Petree who had been orphaned by the Civil War. She was raised in the ruins on a once prosperous plantation on Agate Hill in North Carolina. Her life she writes in a diary. The story spans a half a century of her life, her loves, her friends, her losses. She eventually does marry, gets accused of murdering the love of her life, has a trial…you’ll have to read the book for the outcome. I hated to see the book end.

Dan found a black mushroom a couple of days ago. So far that is all we have but now that he has spotted one, he can’t walk 2’ without his eyes popping out of his head looking for them…and if they are out there, HE WILL FIND THEM!

Yesterday was a gorgeous day and we feel like we accomplished a lot, even though we only worked about 3 hours. There is something about cutting limbs and picking up brush that makes those 3 hours seem like it was a LOT longer. Neither one of us mind cutting up wood, but the part we hate is the brush. I think Dan took 4 loader buckets (and the arms of the loader that work the bucket were loaded too) of brush to the woods yesterday. Some of the trees had gotten so we couldn’t mow under the limbs without “ducking”. We have a mower that the seat is about 3 ½ feet off the ground. And tree’s need to be trimmed up to about 15’ for RV’s to drive under without harm to an a/c or the top of the RV. That is one of the things that Trailer Life and Woodall’s WILL mark a campground down for when they inspect ya….and it is just courtesy to our guests too. It feels good to be out and doing something physical! It makes you appreciate your bed even more!

We bought 3 gallons of stain for the cabin roofs and I have my paint purchased for the floor in the women’s side of the bathhouse. Now we have to wait for cooperative weather. I wish we could find someone to stain the cabin roofs because I don’t want Dan up on a ladder, not with his two artificial knees, but he doesn’t want to “bother anyone”. I said “How can it be a bother? It isn’t like they’d be doing it for free.” It will be a while before I can paint the floor in the women’s room…it is a cold, concrete floor and there probably is still frost in the outer walls. Until I can get it painted and let it “cure” for about 4 days, the women’s room will remain closed, but I don’t see that as a problem…there probably won’t be that many campers anyway and the men’s room will be co’ed while the project is being completed. Just one of those things that has to be done. About the stain; we checked at Ace Hardware and they didn’t even have 3 gallons of stain the same color and what they did have was $29.99 per gallon for the MinWax stain. We managed to get what we needed at 41 Lumber (same brand) for $21.99 per gallon. Pays to shop around, even when it is locally!

I have a question for my Newberry readers; do any of you know of anyone close to where we live that sells BROWN eggs??? We use to go to a lady that was some what south of M-28 but it got to be inconvenient to go that far and only be allowed to get 2 dozen at a time. There is nothing like “home grown” brown eggs; don’t ask me why. Maybe it stems from our child hoods?? My Grandma Cora made the best eggs for breakfast. Of course, she fried them in BUTTER; fried them VERY slowly. I can still taste those wonderful, BROWN eggs fried in BUTTER. (This is the same Grandma that made me butter and sugar sandwiches!!) It is amazing that not knowing THEN about butter and cholesterol what we know now that she lived to be 76 and my other Grandma lived to be 104. And that OLDER Grandma fried a lot of things in lard. Anyway, I digress…brown eggs around Newberry not too far from where we live????

I still haven’t had a chance to get to The Old Bank store in Newberry to view Ernesto Scotts photo display. We were in town yesterday, but the store was closed. I have to go to town again on Thursday, so hopefully I can stop in then and “take it in”. Other things going on in Newberry…

May 24, 2008 Lumberjack breakfast at the Logging Museum, Newberry 7 a.m. till noon

June 21, 2008Lumberjack breakfast at the Logging Museum, Newberry 7 a.m. till noon.

Catch up with ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive