Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

I AM NOT A KLUTZ, AKA BUSTAMOVE!

I have no idea what happened to my ankle. I didn’t fall down, I did not twist my ankle. All I know is last Saturday night, we had company for supper. I went to get up from the table and couldn’t put any weight on my left ankle because it hurt so badly. I managed to limp around the rest of the evening (which I probably should not have done) and it seemed to get better. Long story short, Sunday it felt better but was slightly swollen so I continued to do my work around the campground. By Monday, it hurt again and was all colors of the rainbow and terribly swollen. Tuesday a.m. it felt better and the swelling was down, but about 3 hours later while sitting at the computer, it started hurting so badly and immediately swelled up.

Dan went to our neighbors to borrow some crutches and I called my Drs office hoping to be seen soon. He is on vacation till the 26th. AND the only other Dr in Newberry called in sick that day so “you should go to the ER”. I truthfully did NOT want to do that as I consider the ER for people having heart attacks, accident victims, etc. I didn’t want to take up space for what I figured was a fractured ankle. But I didn’t have a lot of choice so we went to ER. I apologized for even being there and explained there was no Dr available to see me that day.

X-rays were taken which revealed absolutely nothing! It was very evident that something was wrong due to all the swelling and the array of colors (especially the 6” of dark purple running alone the bottom of my foot; I don’t mean ON the BOTTOM of my foot but just above that area). They took a blood test to make sure I didn’t have a blood clot. Thank goodness THAT came back ok. So, I was splinted, given directions for elevation, ice, pain med Rx and new crutches (the ones we borrowed were pretty much antiques). So that is what I’ve been doing; just what the Dr said to do. (Makes it hard to do this when there is so much to be done outside, etc. Dan is great about taking care of me and doing the things that need to be done, but I feel guilty)

The Dr in ER said if it isn’t better in 4 days to call my Dr and probably have an MRI done.

This is what I THINK happened….I over pronate and I wear New Balance shoes that help with over pronators. I also wear orthotics and yes, I AM over weight which doesn’t help either. So with all that said, last Thursday (I THINK it was Thursday!!) we worked about 8 hours in the bathhouse. This was a lot of just standing on that cold, concrete floor. I know that doesn’t sound bad, but with the over-pronation it wears on my feet and ankles. By the next day it felt like someone had beaten my arches with a hammer. Anyway, when my ankle started giving me fits and felt like it was a bad sprain, I did a search through Ask Jeeves. This is exactly what I typed in; “My ankle feels like it is sprained but it isn’t”. AND I ACTUALLY FOUND AN ARTICLE WRITTEN BY A PODIATRIST WITH THAT TITLE!

It explained about the mechanics of a person with flat feet, over-pronation etc and how the bone (can’t remember the names but it had a drawing) that comes from the bone in the leg meets up with a bone that is in the foot (top side of the ankle area). And with a person with over-pronation sometimes these bones become “un-aligned” and the “leg bone” shifts to the outer side of the foot bone. I was convinced that was what happened…until the various shades of green and purples so now I don’t know.

I DO know I have muscles in my chest that I have never used before crutches and I have sore ribs and sore underarms. It still swells a bit and is still a light green and dark purple at the bottom but I am doing my best to obey Drs orders so I can get back to work…and because I have to drive myself to Petoskey next week!

I wish I had an exciting story to relate to you…like I was being chased by a skunk and fell down or that I had been in a log rolling contest and fell…something that could be a good story. But this is it! That’s all there is!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:06 PM

    Cathy,
    try and support more of your body with your hands and arms when using the crutches and not so much with your armpits, that might help with the rib and chest pain?


    Jerry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry, thanks for the thoughts. It IS getting better, although now the back of my knee hurts very badly. I figure THAT is due to how I've been "walking" and my leg being extended more than usual due to trying to keep my foot elevated. One thing leads to another, especially when ya get older! And, as far as supporting my weight on crutches, it doesn't help that I don't have a lot of upper body strength on my left side due to shoulder surgery 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive