Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, April 11, 2008

GMAIL, WEATHER, TASA PHOTO CONTEST

I NEED an auto responder for my email and our ISP does not provide one. I found out that Gmail (via Google) DOES have what they call a vacation responder (same thing).

There are a lot of other features that I liked about the Gmail account (my Lighthouse.net mail could be forwarded to Gmail, my Gmail could be sent so it looked like it came from my Lighthouse.net and other features). I also liked the fact I could pick out an email address longer than 10 letters!

It took me about 2 days (off and on) of experimenting and having friends email me this way and that way, etc etc to get it the way I wanted it. The vacation responder seemed to be working...at least with MY COMPUTER still turned on. I wanted to make sure it worked with my computer turned off (which I normally do not do). I had a friend email me one night after she got home from work and my computer was off. She did NOT get the vacation responder. I also wanted the vacation responder to work if someone emailed my cclementz@lighthouse.net address. I HOPED since my Lighthouse email was also "fetched" by Gmail that it would trigger the auto responder...it does not.

We tried a few more things (different settings with Gmail) again the next night and still no response. I tried contacting someone at Google which is impossible so I did go to their "message boards" and posted my question. I did find out there is a convoluted way to get the vacation responder to respond to Lighthouse email (long story and requires another Gmail account) but I was assured that the vacation responder IS designed to work with MY computer being off...otherwise, what is the purpose of it??? Well, as I said, it doesn't work for me.

If any of you have had any experience or have suggestions about this be it via Gmail or some other service, PLEASE let me know!!! I want something that I DO NOT have to leave my computer on for (I know I can "program" Outlook with a responder, but my computer has to be left on).

THE WEATHER....about 2 a.m. this morning I heard sleet hitting the bedroom windows so I got up and put some water in a pan, a bucket and a few more objects. It was 33 degrees, but my concern was if it got below freezing, heavy ice on the electrical lines could mean no power. So far so good...but we still are getting freezing rain. This is spring??? I DO have flowers trying to come up, well, at least they were yesterday! Hard telling what they look like this morning.

The TASA photo contest was a bust. NOT ONE SINGLE ENTRY! I was very disappointed in the "outcome". I'm not sure if we will pursue it again next season or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive