Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, March 28, 2008

WINTER REIGNS! WISH IT WAS SPRING RAINS!

Tuesday morning, we left here in the dark in the snow and wind. Probably about 4 times between here and 20 miles east of here we seriously considered turning around, heading home and canceling the Dr appointments in the Soo….the weather conditions were THAT bad. If I were a person who had Valium on hand, I would have been taking it! The snow was SO wet and heavy and blinding in the headlights.

Even as good of a driver as Dan is (he does still have his CDL), it was nerve wracking. The only one enjoying the ride was Oblivious Nick. (Can someone please tell me why dogs get all keyed up, dancing, prancing and talking to ya to make sure THEY get to go to and as soon as they are in the vehicle, they go to sleep??? I mean, can’t they sleep at home anyway??)

Dan isn’t use to driving my Escape and at one point he was trying to turn the wipers back on and shut the headlights off instead. Now, I realize it was only a split second but it was enough to make my heart pump peanut butter. I use to think I had nerves of steel, but I guess as one gets older those nerves of steel turn to rocks of Jell-o.

By the time we got to the Soo and Dan had his blood work we had time to kill before the next appointment so we went to breakfast. The roads in the Soo were almost worse than the main highways…but at least it was daylight!

We went with a long list of things to purchase at Wal-Mart. As I told you before, I do not lolly gag when I shop. By the time we got to Wal-Mart, neither one of us actually felt like trying to get everything that was on the list, but I told Dan to hold on to my coat tails because we were gonna take Wal-Mart like a bolt from the blue and “get ‘er dun.”….that and I didn’t want him disappearing down some aisle, never to be seen again. Otherwise, I’d have to announce his name over the PA system for him to come to check out # such and such when I was ready to leave.

The cart will filled in about 20 minutes and we were back in the car in about 30 minutes. (Dan even had to try on a pair of jeans during this 20 minutes because he didn’t believe me that his jeans were size “#% X 30”….now he knows how I feel)

The ride home wasn’t much better than the 76 mile drive over. By this time, most of the roadway was slushy. Then you’d come on a spot that was solid snow and ice. Even the semi drivers were being cautious but there was a white car that passed us like we were sitting still. About 10 miles further up the road, that white car was over on the OTHER side of the road and was up on top of a snow bank sitting right side up! The State Police were already there and the woman was still in the car. She was gonna have a fun time getting OUT of the vehicle because as soft as the snow had become, ya knew she was gonna sink in. It didn’t look like there was any damage to the car so maybe she was able to drive away…more slowly???

We were glad to get home without any damage or without saying things to each other we didn’t really mean.

And I got word yesterday that the DNR is allowing the U.P. to groom until April 6th. So, grooming associations will be out on the trails depending on the temps. And we thought it was gonna be over with on Tuesday! Ya still have time to ride and there isn’t much sled traffic at all! We will keep our lodging open a while longer, at least as long as the roads on our property hold up and don’t get slushy. And we are still offering a 15% discount if ya stay with us!

Catch ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive