Sunday the temp managed to get up to 41° for a while. It would fluctuate between 37-41 most of the afternoon. Dan was supposed to leave around 5 p.m. to groom the south TASA trail so we were watching the temp so he knew when to head out. The ideal temp for grooming is below freezing but you can tell a lot from “how the snow feels” as to whether you should groom or not if it is above freezing.
It finally got down to about 35°. About 4 p.m. Dan got ready to head out, said he’d see me around 7 a.m. the next day (today, Monday).
About 7 p.m. it was still hovering around 33°. I didn’t check again before going to bed. The rain woke me up around 2 a.m. so then I DID get up to check and it was back up to 36°!
I heard Dan come in about 5 a.m. so I figured the rain must have affected how much grooming he managed to get done because he was home a couple hours earlier than expected. This is his story, and he’s sticking to it;
“I decided to groom to Cut River first and then go to Trout Lake on the way back. I noticed a light in the sky that seemed to be coming from Cut River area and I didn’t remember them having a search light or an airport any place down there! I knew it had been a couple of days/ nights since I’d groomed down that way and it made me feel like I was in a time warp. I couldn’t figure out what the heck that light was…it was always in the same place, flashing off, and flashing on. It started raining and the closer I got to Cut River the harder it rained. I finally realized that search light was lightening. About the same time I figured that out there was a big clap of thunder and then all hell broke loose. It was raining so hard that I had to use giddy up speed on the wipers. I decided to turn around and head back. The trail to Trout Lake didn’t get done. I radio’ed Louie and asked if it was raining up his way (he was on #9 North) and he wasn’t getting any rain.”
If you look at a map, especially a trail map, you will see that where Dan was heading to is down by Lake Michigan. Louie, on the other hand was totally in the opposite direction, up by Pine Stump.
By the time Dan got back to Newberry, the temp had dropped back down to 33° and it wasn’t raining. I got up at 6:00 and the temp was still at 32° but it had started snowing.
As I am writing this at 7 a.m. it is pretty windy, down to 30° and the snow is still coming down. A plow truck went by a few minutes ago, and even HE was driving slowly. From the warmth of my office, it looks pretty nasty out there!
Ya know what they say about Michigan; wait 5 minutes and the weather will change!
(By the way, that rain isn’t going to hurt the south trail very much. There is a good base and hopefully they are getting some of this snow too. I’m sure later today, someone will be back out on the south trail and get the whole route done. Unless the weather doesn’t cooperate or there is a groomer in need of repair, TASA grooms all trails every day/night)
3 months ago