Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, March 08, 2008

NUTTIN' MUCH

BEFORE WE VENTURE ANY FURTHER, DON'T FORGET TO SET YOUR CLOCKS AHEAD TONIGHT!!

This reverse green house effect (AKA Global Warming) that we are experiencing this year is wreaking havoc on my toenails!

First of all, to quote someone else (don’t know who but he/she must’ve been a smart person), I hope it warms up before the 2007-2008 global warming freezes us all to death. We have another morning that we are below zero. We are -7° this morning. The snow just doesn’t squeak when you walk on it. It SKA-REEEMS!

There are only 3 ways to keep my feet and toes warm (and there by, no hives or welts). The firs is the obvious, heavy socks and shoes, 2nd is in the bed with socks on, 3rd is in the shower. None of those places are conducive for toe nail clipping. Maybe I could put my feet in a bucket of very warm water and cut the nails UNDER water??? It is that or I will require a farrier by month end. I AM SO READY TO GET OUT OF THE COLD!!!

On a Michigan TV news channel last night, they were giving the results of the state wide average for a gallon of regular gas. Newberry is finally at the average. Now that every one else has caught up with Newberry, I’m sure our price has gone up over night. On Beaver Island, they said a gallon of gas was $4.35. Then there was the outcome of price gouging on propane by a company around the Gaylord area. This company owned other companies, one of which is Lagasko out of Gulliver, Mi. (not too far from here). The company was found guilty of price gouging; up to $4.39 per gallon while the state average was $2.39. Hmmm…I guess these people think we’re just gonna set by and take it??

Nick is doing MUCH better. He was in so much discomfort 3 days ago with his neck and aspirin was not helping him AT all. I called the vet and asked if there isn’t anything else besides the Rimadyl or the shots. She told me about a new medicine that some of her patients are trying and they seem to have mixed results so I rushed to her office to get some. It is called Previcox and has REALLY helped Nick. There are some side effects to watch for, but so far, other than not much appetite, I can’t see as Nick is having any of the other ones. I have to doctor his food up a little bit more, but he deserves it. Now, he can hold his head UP to see where he is going instead of looking over the tops of his eyebrows. He is even “talking” a little bit more and he doesn’t seem to be breathing as heavily at night.

Supposedly we are heading in to a NICE warm up for the end of next week. I CANNOT WAIT. Not just because of the toe nail dilemma or because we are down to ½ a tank of fuel oil but if we are going to be lacking in snowmobile business, winter might as well be over!

I’ve been doing some researching on the Appalachian area of Ohio and have requested various guide books, brochures, etc. If any of you have ever been in that area, could you email me at cclementz@lighthouse.net and let me know where you went, what we HAVE to see, etc?? Remember, we are nature nuts; don’t care for the city lights. I have read about various Amish communities in that area as well. Where we use to live there were LOTS of Amish communities, so we are very familiar with the Amish and we do enjoy going to an Amish restaurant. And if we do manage to get downstate to visit our family and friends, we do have some Amish friends we need to look up. We exchange Christmas cards every year but haven’t seen them in a very long time.

My Mom has Amish neighbors who have been so very kind and helpful, even when Dad was alive. I guess I need to take it back what I said about not seeing them for a long time. When I was downstate two years ago in the fall for Gene’s funeral (my sister’s husband) some of our Amish friends did come for the visitation but that isn’t exactly the place to catch up with people you know. Anyway, my Mom’s neighbors keep an eye on her, help out with things she cannot do and Leanna is ALWAYS bringing Mom fresh baked goodies or canned fruit, etc.

Well, I think that is all for this round. I’m going to get another cuppa coffee, go sit at the dining room table and watch the digital thermometer plummet a few more degrees…IS THAT U.P. BOREDOM OR WHAT?!!! It is almost as good as watching paint dry!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, I've made you my official mid-West fix site. After 14 years on the "West Coast" I really miss the grounded folks I lived amongst for the first half of my life. I too was young long ago and grew up pretty recently. Denise

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive