Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, March 06, 2008

ANOTHER SAD SNOWMOBILE STORY

THIS IS A PORTION OF AN EMAIL I RECEIVED SEVERAL DAYS AGO. IT IS SELF EXPLANATORY.


My wife and I live in Iowa and have been reading your trail reports for years. We planned our trips around your trail reports. Newberry had easily become our favorite snowmobiling destination but we thought this year we would go to Canada. I wish we’d stayed home. Our lives won’t be the same again ever.

My wife was hit by another sled and it has made her paralyzed. She can breath, talk, turn her head, blink, wiggle her fingers a bit but that is it and probably will be it for the rest of her life. She is 49.

We were on the trail, I was leading. Another sled came racing around a curve on my side and clipped my ski. My wife was about 30’ behind me so I stopped and watched this wreck in slow motion…at least it seemed like it was in slow motion. He hit her head on and the force threw him off his sled and into her upper body. They both landed a way behind her sled, he on top of her. Not that it matters but he was a native to the area.

When I got back to where they were and pulled him off from my wife she was dazed and confused. There was no blood but her head seemed not right in position to the rest of her. I did not move her and it seemed it took forever for help to arrive.

Long story short we are home now. We had one day on the trails in Canada and 6 days in a hospital in Canada. Well, I am home, she is in our local hospital and will be able to come home soon. I need to make some major changes in our house so she can get around in a wheel chair. Do you know what she is most upset about? We are expecting our first grandchild in 3 months and she won’t be able to hold her (we know it is a girl). Our family is close by and our countless friends have been a big help to me with the changes I have to make in our home.

I have my sled for sale and I don’t know if I will be able to read your trail reports any longer or not. It is a pain that won’t go away. We feel like we have come to know you over the years of reading your reports and your yarn site.

I have read the other stories you have posted this year and hoped that mine could serve as a reminder to others, although I doubt it will change anything in the end. I am 53 years old and have to hire someone to stay with my wife when friends and family cannot. She will not like that. She will not want to feel like she is a burden to anyone.

We don’t know how things will turn out. It is one day at a time and one foot in front of the other at least for me.

You have my permission to share this with others. Change or make corrections as you see needed. I just ask you don’t use our names or the town we are from. People in our town know who we are and what has happened. I am not looking for sympathy or handouts. I just want people to learn how life can change in an instant
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive