Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

IRON MAIDEN

I am not a seamstress and never have pretended to be. I have NO interest in sewing, knitting; any of that stuff. I CAN replace a button and I CAN hem a skirt…but that doesn’t mean anyone would want to wear either one when I was finished. I rely heavily on tape and staples. All of our clothing is perma-press….I don’t enjoy ironing either. Don’t I sound like a poster child for the Anti Martha Stewarts of the world?? Now, Betty Crocker and Julia Child and I get along quite well.

Something has come up that is going to require me to find my iron! UGGHH!!!

Since we have the carpet in our bedroom now, I wanted to get a nice bed skirt to help keep the dust bunnies out from under the bed and to just help make the bed look better (believe it or not I do NOT put things under the bed so I’m not trying to hide anything).

Penney’s had their President’s Day bath and bedding sale on last weekend and the bed skirt I wanted was marked down from $59.99 to $24.99. GOOD TIMING!! It arrived last night and after much ado, I was able to get it out of the package. This is where the darn iron (ugghh!!!)comes in.

The part that goes UNDER the mattress is pressed just as pretty as a picture. Not a wrinkle to be found. The part that SHOWS looks like a shriveled up old apple…plus there are about 5 or 6 pleats in it…and THOSE are the worst! You can’t even tell they WERE pleated except for the crisp lines of where the pleats SHOULD be. It is SO bad that I am going to have to pin each pleat in order to iron it back into place (yes, I said pin, not staple). One would think for the original price that the darn thing wouldn’t wrinkle so easily! It gets even better…

This is a queen size bed skirt and I don’t have but a 3 foot ironing board. It is just one of those you set on a counter. This will not do me any good so I am going to have to protect my counter with towels and put this big thing on the counter in order to iron (UGGHH!!) it. I tried putting it in the dryer with a damp rag, but it didn’t help. If anything the pleats look worse.

You may be surprised to discover that even though I do not sew, I DO have a sewing basket! I DO have pins! About all that is IN that basket are pins, various threads, needles and a lot of buttons. This would probably qualify as an antique. It is something my Grandma gave me when I was about 10 years old (I didn’t know pins and needles would rust); back when she and my Mom had expectations of making me into a seamstress. Heck, probably some of that thread is from my Grandma’s sewing basket.

My other sewing kit, the one with tape and staples I keep in the office. Ya never know when I might need it there. I have found the iron (UGGHH!!); let the fun begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive