Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

DON'T LET ME DOWN...

Do you take your loved ones for granted? I realized Tuesday morning that I was so very guilty of that.

I came out to the kitchen to make my morning coffee prior to getting in the shower only to discover there was no water! HOW COULD THIS BE???? It was ONLY -8° below zero! It had been colder than this before!!! I’d left the cupboard doors open, I’d done all the right things! How could you let me down like this Oh, mighty water line??!!!! (Something you take for granted)

AH, HA!!! Maybe I can get water in the bathroom! Sometimes it freezes in the kitchen but not the bathroom! But that was not to be either. Well, heck, I can fix this in a jiffy. I knew where the heat gun was and what to do next. So, I got down on the floor, stuck my upper half into the cupboard under the sink where the water lines come into the bathroom and proceeded to thaw pipes…5 minutes later I was the only thing that was thawed. Those pipes weren’t even making any noises! So I got ALL dressed, went over to the Little Lodge and there was no water there either. THAT meant the problem was in the pump house…which meant I had to wade through a lot of snow to get there.

I was hiking my way out to the pump house (which actually is about 150’ walk from the front of our home), holding my extension cord and heat gun high so as to not get it wet in the snow (didn’t want to add self electrocution to the start of my bad day). I was only about 20’ from the pump house and there was a 4’ drift in front of me to wade through. About 5 foot beyond that drift was the pump house! I blasted through that drift (well, as best I could with all the heavy garb and 20 pounds of boots on my feet) and immediately fell down…BUT I HELD THE HEAT GUN AND EXTENSION CORD HIGH!!!! Have you ever seen a turtle on it’s back trying to get turned over?? I’m sure that is what I must have looked like and again, still trying to keep my electrical appliances out of the snow.

I finally got into the pump house (which is about 8’ x 10’, has 3 big pressure tanks and our water distribution system which goes to 5 different locations…lots of plumbing and pipes to freeze). The little electric heater was running but the only thing coming out of it was cold air and dead flies.

Long story short, we did finally get the problem fixed but not until replacing the pressure gauge and the sampling point (where I take our annual water tests from)…and putting a different electric heater in there…which we will check frequently while it is cold.

Fortunately, we didn’t have any guests in our cabins or the Little Lodge because it took about 4-5 hours to get this all fixed. I don’t know how understanding someone would be in that situation. I know I was pretty miffed! AND THIRSTY!

So this is what Dan came home to early yesterday morning after having been grooming for a bit over 12 hours. AND he’d been up since 7 a.m. the day before. I had gotten in touch with Prez Bob (AKA Trail Boss Bob) and he was able to radio Dan who was still about 2 hours away from being home. Bob kindly told Dan he would meet him at the Eagles (Dan had to groom back past that area to get back to the TASA barn) and that Bob would take over for Dan so Dan could head home and get started on this mess. So A BIG THANKS TO BOB for being such a stand up guy and helping out.

I try to be optimistic about life and things in general; ya know, the cup is ½ full. But in this case the glass was half empty. And cracked. And if that wasn't bad enough I cut my lip on it. And chipped a tooth...but things did get better and I'm back in full form WITH a cup of coffee AND a shower (the stitches in my lip only hurt when I smile...just kidding).

(Some of you know that I like to use song titles for the titles of my posts; do you know who wrote and sang "Don't Let Me Down"?? NO fair doing a search!)

4 comments:

  1. Let's see.."Don't let me Down"...wasn't that by that group that played in the 60s? Beetles or Beats...something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. es, That's pretty cood!!! It WAS the BEATLES!! Are we showing our ages, or what???

    Hey, when you get a chance, email me the dates of your show in Newberry; cclementz@lighthouse.net.

    See ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: our ages...I think we're in the "Don't ask, Don't tell" phase of life!

    We're working on the dates...will know soon and I'll definitely let you know. Only thing for certain is the reception/party will be May 23.

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!! I'll be looking for that announcement!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive