Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, December 01, 2007

STAYING ALIVE!

(Yep, disco fever fans, by the Bee Gee's!)

WE ARE FINALLY BACK IN OUR OWN HOME!!! As nice as we feel our Little Lodge is, there is no place like home…especially when home is only about 100’ away from where you HAVE to stay due to no heat!

I do have to tell you that Dan, I and the dogs are very fortunate to even be here. It didn’t really hit us that night (when everything was hazy and we couldn’t get our breath) but it sure did the next morning. I spent a good portion of that night standing outside on the deck of the Lodge, in my robe and shoes just breathing in fresh air. I had no idea my lungs had taken in that much “nasty air”. My voice is almost back to normal now. I don’t know why it didn’t seem to affect Dan as much as I, other than he sleeps with his head under the covers so hadn’t been breathing it in as long as I had. But again, I just cannot believe that our dogs didn’t die (unless the fumes “hang high” instead of low??).

And I don’t know why our C02 detector didn’t go off! We have a new one (I bought it two days ago after all of this had happened because I for sure don't trust the other one at all now!) and even though it is supposed to be “top of the line” and you can test it to hear the screeching beeper, I don’t know as I will ever feel comfortable that if needed that it will work properly. I mean, how DO you really know until you have a C02 in the area??? (I realize that C02 is odorless, but as the furnace man said, with the fumes from the fuel oil, the C02 WAS still there.)

Chewy totally amazed us while we stayed at the Little Lodge. She slept better THERE than she does here (that is when she would finally settle down and realized we were all going to bed). The ONLY thing I can think of is that her bed was in a corner and there was a night light about 12” from her head. In OUR bedroom, her bed is right beside MY side of the bed (like it was in the Little Lodge), there is a night stand to the backside of her bed, but the other side is “wide open” to the rest of the room and the closest night light is about 4’ from her.

What I am thinking is about getting a large cardboard box, taking the top off and leaving the bottom and 2 complete sides and ½ a side that would be next to my side of the bed. And I think I can get those “stick up” night lights that you press and they come on so I could put that inside of her little shelter/nest box. I know, that must sound like a LOT to go through for an old, can’t see much of nuttin’ dog, BUT when SHE sleeps better so do I!!

We’ve gotten about a foot of snow so far and it was 7° this a.m. when I got up. Dan is plowing out the driveway, the parking areas (for the Little Lodge, our home and the cabins). He will also have to plow out the “roads” he makes in the winter time in our campground so people can get to the cabins. We also have 3 campsites we plow out because sledders pay to store their trailers here instead of hauling them back and forth all winter long. He’s already got some good banks of snow out here! My orders for the day are to make cookies; doesn’t matter what kind as long as they are cookies. I think what started that was the vanilla scented candle that I opened the lid on last night. I didn’t even light the darn thing; all ya have to do is open the lid and it smells like cookies! It made both of us hungry!

In closing I can tell ya IT IS GREAT TO BE ALIVE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive