Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, November 29, 2007

LACK OF HEAT

At the risk of offending an ethnic group, I need to say that Dan and I are feeling more and more like gypsies.

The furnace was supposedly repaired yesterday and we “moved” back from the Little Lodge. About 10:30 p.m. I awoke to an awful smell and “cloudiness” in the air. The furnace was putting out lots of fumes. So, we are back to square one. At least we have heat but we also have harmful fumes. THAT was very scary. Dan said he never would have noticed it since he sleeps with his head under the covers.

What we thought we were saving on fuel oil we are probably spending double by supporting Newberry Water and Light. We are running two small electric heaters in the house. I know someone down at Water and Light is sitting there rubbing their hands together gleefully.

It was a very unrestful night because I was extremely concerned about leaving those heaters going in our home unattended. Dan was able to sleep but I was up about every 45 minutes looking towards our home, making sure it was still there. We are getting a bit tired of this adventure…and so are the dogs. I am very surprised that last nights fumes didn’t kill Chewy or at least make her sick (she’s only 10 pounds). Possibly the fumes aren’t as bad close to the floor???

Anyway, I’ve had some very nice input about the first edition of TASA TALK and will be sharing some of those comments in the next edition. I’ve only had two “complaints”. One person said the he did not see any photos or graphics and another said that the right hand side of the page was “cut off” and made reading difficult. He later emailed back and said “After clicking on allow multiple pages it went from 5 skinny pages to three correct sized pages that are now able to be read.” I had planned on emailing the first edition out again today in a different format, but I am having difficulty getting it to go as “to mail recipient”. I get an error box from MS Word that states “Unspecified error”. Not sure what that means and why it is happening.

NOW THE IMPORTANT PART!!! THE WEATHER!!! Yesterday the snow was very fluffy but by afternoon it had warmed up a bit and you could actually make snowballs with the snow. We are supposed to get between 4-8 inches of snow today and possibly more in some areas. I’ve already had phone calls wanting to know when the trails open. Please read the section about “going around gates”. Also, you might want to go to the DNR website and read the whole rule pamphlet because it IS still rifle season and there ARE certain hours you can and can’t ride till December 1st.

So, we are on Day 5 of no heat and we are not happy people. I am tending to be crabby and Dan is putting up with it…HE IS A GREAT GUY, have I told you that?? With that in mind, I won’t be spending a lot of time in the office yet so I won’t be near the phone or computer. I am trying to check every 4 hours or so, so I will eventually get back to you.

3 comments:

  1. Cathy...I wish I could email you a nice warm cappuccino! And some hot baked treats for the dogs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ES, thanks for the warm thoughts! We are back in our home (news at 11) and as John Denver said "Hey it's great to be back home".

    If this is the ES I think it is, I am looking forward to your photo display this spring in Newberry! I saw the photo of the chickadee; wonderful! How I envy you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tis I indeed. We were supposed to have come up to the cabin last week, but the best laid plans, etc. I hope to be up in a week or two.

    Thanks for the checking out the chickadee. It should be a nice exhibition come spring...I hope!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive