Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, November 15, 2007

IS IT FRIDAY YET??


Is it Friday yet? Be honest, don’t you sometimes feel like that baby looks???

I know I am getting anxious for the weekend and there isn’t any particular reason for it. The only thing I can think of that is making me anxious for time to fly is because my daughter and her friend will be arriving next Wednesday afternoon (while I have to be at a Dr appointment in the Soo!!). We haven’t seen each other since LAST Thanksgiving when she and he drove up in that blizzard.

Dan is getting all dressed (trussed??) to head out hunting. I DO kind of miss going hunting but with the hives and the problem I continue to have with my shoulder (I had a high power rifle that I sold recently since I knew I wouldn’t be using it again), it was not much fun for me any more. When we lived downstate, Dan and I would bring our 5th wheel and head over to the Western end of the U.P. We would camp out in the woods for 2 weeks or longer. IT WAS WONDERFUL! And we have some very good memories, photos and videos that we took over the years. I miss doing that almost as much as I miss our kids. THAT was roughing it when you are out in the woods for that long. We didn’t dare put water in our holding tank in case it did freeze so we took 5 “jerry cans” of water along. When we would get down to about 10 gallons of water left, we’d head to a State forest campground that had a pitcher pump and we’d fill out cans back up again. We would stock the 5th wheel fridge with frozen stuff. In the cooler we would pack frozen stuff and instead of buying a bag of ice, we used big Tupperware bowls that we had filled with water and had frozen before leaving home. We had extra propane tanks but we went sparingly on the heat. There were batteries on the 5th wheel that helped run the lights (for those of you who don’t camp, you might not know that) but they could only be charged by running the truck or the portable generator we took along. About 3 a.m. each morning, Dan would have to get up and start the generator so we could re-charge and so we would have lights and enough juice to run the blower on the furnace…oh and the radio which picked up one station. We’d only run the furnace about 58° so when we went to bed, we had plenty of long johns, flannel, knit caps, heavy socks and heavy wool blankets to keep us warm. Once you got warm, ya didn’t really want to have to crawl out of your nest for ANY reason….so it was very nice that Dan would get up at 3 a.m. to start the generator.

One season it was particularly warm and there hadn’t been any snow at all. Dan had gotten his buck about the 3rd day of hunting. He still could get another buck. I hadn’t filled my tag yet so I was still gung ho about hunting…and I like to get out in the woods and situated BEFORE the sun came up. When we went to bed the night before it was still about 50° outside. When Dan got up around 3 a.m. to start the generator, the temp had dropped considerably and there was bout 2 foot of snow on the ground and it was snowing HARD! THAT was a year to remember!

Since there were no showers, we took “baths” by heating water on the stove and “bathing” with a pan of hot water, and soap. The biggest problem was getting your hair washed! I had very long hair most of the time. One of the trips I remember it was so warm outside and my hair was in need of washing. We heated up some water, I lay down in the bed of the truck with my hair hanging off the tailgate and Dan washed my hair that way. We ran out of hot water before we ran out of hair…I think the pores on my head opened and closed about a hundred times before he got done!

Some place in the archives, I’m sure is a hunting story about my “hooded hunting suit”. I’ll have to see if I can find that for you and tell you where to go look for it.

Anyway, for you hunters, happy hunting! For hunter’s wives who are shopping, happy spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive