Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, November 18, 2007

DANCING ON THE CEILING AND Bouncing off the walls!

I thought about the title being OH WHAT A NIGHT (another song that fits this story) but settled on the one you see….and you will understand why in a moment.

Two nights ago, for whatever reason, Dan and I had a very hard time getting to sleep. Once we did, Chewy, the dog that is on Xanax, decided to tippy toe all over the house. Our hallway is not carpeted so to Dan and I (trying to sleep) it sounded like Festus from Gunsmoke walking up and down the hall with his spurs a jangling…it was just Chewy and her toenails a clacking.

It appeared that her Xanax was not gonna kick in and help her to relax so after some more traversing the house she did finally go to sleep in her “nest” by my side of the bed. We still had a hard time getting to sleep, so it was a SHORT night.

By last night, we were both anxious for bedtime. The sandman had been beating on me since 3 in the afternoon. Dan managed to get a little nap sitting on the couch with his neck all in a crink (then I hear “Why did you let me fall asleep? My neck hurts now”…hmmm, I thought I was doing him a favor!). Chewy, as all dogs, found the daytime much to her liking and slept (and slept, and slept). So, yes, we were anxious to give her the Xanax and go to bed last night.

Neither one of us had a hard time getting to sleep but Chewy was a bit restless for a while. She finally settled down and I have NO idea what time that was. Nick grunts and groans like an old bone doggie when he has to get up and turn around 3 times in order to lie back down but we’re use to that.

Later in the night, I was awakened by a BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. I opened my eyes and couldn’t see a thing; the power was off and my battery back ups for the computer and satellite modem were beeping ever so faithfully at me. Dan keeps a little flashlight on his side of the bed (we’re prepared for whatever the infamous Newberry Water and Light throws at us) so I was able to find my way out to my office and shut down everything. I remembered to turn the furnace WAY down. You may wonder “WHY?? THE POWER IS OFF! WHY MESS WITH THE FURNACE??” It is because we KNOW what to expect with Newberry Water and Light. Sometimes when they THINK they’ve got the problem solved and you get all the clocks set, etc, the power goes right back off, then on, then off. Even your pupils get tired after a while. This happened one time when the furnace was trying to run or cycle and it screwed something up so we had to have a repairman come fix it. So, yes, when the power is off, we turn the furnace down so hopefully this won’t happen.

I crawled back into bed, trying not to wake Chewy up. Our house looks like a runway at O’Hare with all the night lights for Chewy to find her way should she need to go to the kitchen for a drink or just need to stroll. With the power off it was pitch black…and Chewy has extremely poor eyesight. I no sooner got under the covers and comfy but what Chewy was up and scared because she couldn’t see. She was running into things and bouncing off the walls (that explains part of the title of this story). Chewy was becoming a bit frantic. By now, I had the flashlight on trying to help her find her way back to bed, but no, she thought she had to go out. That meant one of us had to go with her because, without power we had no yard light for the dog pen. Good old Dan got dressed, got a bigger flashlight and went outside with both dogs. It is 22° at this time and Chewy didn’t have her sweater on. She was FREEZING by the time she came in and continued to bounce off the walls. I don’t know how many more times we were in and out of bed because of her but I finally decided to give her another ½ of a Xanax just so we could get some rest and keep her still long enough to warm her up. I told Dan I would sit on the couch with her so he could go back to bed, but sweet heart that he is, he said he would sit with me. In the meantime, I had 3 candles lit and the flicker from the flames was dancing on the ceiling (hence the first part of the title). It is kind of hypnotic….especially being so darn tired. Leaving candles burning, even with us in the same room, tends to make us a bit nervous. Neither one of us had a clue as to what time it was (other than 12:00!! 12:00!! 12:00!!). Dan, still dressed, went out to the Escape to check the time and to get one of his BIG shop flashlights so we didn’t have to have the candles burning. By now it is 3:07 a.m. Chewy is still freezing but the Xanax has started to kick in enough that she would let me hold her wrapped up in a blanket. And by now, I have hives from stem to stern. Holding Chewy was like holding a block of ice; she was THAT cold. I had opened my robe to hold her next to me and had 3 heavy blankets over the both of us.

Finally about 4:05 a.m. the power came back on…but we didn’t rush to turn the furnace on. We waited another 10 minutes and 33 seconds to make SURE it wasn’t a fluke and we weren’t being teased with power.

We were all finally able to go to bed about 4:30. Chewy had finally stopped shivering so I was able to put her in her nest and cover her up. I figured I’d never be able to get back to sleep (every time Chewy stirred I would check to make sure she was still covered), but next thing I knew it was almost 8 a.m….we still had power and it was 18°!!

I can’t help but believe that part of my day today will involve taking a cat nap…or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive