Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, October 06, 2007

NUTTIN MUCH

What the heck is up with the price of sunflower seeds??? Last time I purchased a 50 pound bag it was $13.99. That was about 6 weeks ago. NOW it is $17.99! This has been caused by either a drought or a flood, right? I just hope the farmers who raise the sunflowers are seeing a good chunk of that. Same with the price of eggs! I guess groceries are going to fluctuate along with the price of fuel. As I said, I hope farmers are seeing a chunk of that. Seriously, farmers are everyone’s bread and butter…think about it. Farmers are outstanding in their field!

We are getting a thunder shower at the present. The sky is filled with lightening. I think we are all a bit “gun shy” since the fire but I still enjoy watching lightening and envy people who are brave enough to get some awesome photos. I fear that I would be a good conductor for lightening. It even makes me nervous to hold on to my mouse during a storm…even with all the surge protectors, battery back ups, etc. I feel like I am the key at the end of the kite. I’ll be back later to finish this…when the storm has passed!

I’m baacckk…

You know the encounters we have had recently with critters. I can’t remember if I told you about what happened with my washing machine several years ago.

I realized that it was taking a LOT longer for the washer to fill up than it usually does so Dan checked the screens on the hoses. The screens were fine so we just couldn’t figure out what was going on. A couple of days later, I noticed something green poking out of the area that the water comes into the washer. It wasn’t an adequate amount of it for me to grab on to but a couple of days later, I noticed it was “growing” and looked like alfalfa sprouts….and the water was coming into the washer slower and slower. Dan tried to take the washer apart to get to whatever this stuff was but ended up making more problems than accomplishments. I called our favorite appliance repairman, Mike Richards. The next day Mike arrived and managed to get the washer apart to get to that specific area. By now, I had a portion of the makings for a salad bar going on. None of us could believe what we saw! IT WAS SUNFLOWER SEEDS THAT HAD SPROUTED! Apparently they don’t need soil to sprout and grow about 2”. That area of the washer was PACKED with the seeds! Some how a darn mouse had figured out how to get into that area and was storing sunflower seeds! As I recall, the mouse caper cost us about $45.00. By now, nothing should cause us to say “I can’t believe that happened!”

We managed to get quite a bit done yesterday. It was another beautiful day and evening. Dan and I both mowed around the campground. I can’t believe the leaves that have already come off the trees. AND THE PINE NEEDLES! The white pines have “shed” a large amount this fall. It is almost impossible to mow certain areas. I swear, in some places the needles have to be 3” deep (and don’t forget the grass we’re trying to mow there too!)! I’ve never seen them that deep! I have a big 5’ mower and the needles were even “bogging” down the blade action on that! We also took down the volleyball net, the toddler type swings and the “big kid” swings. Normally, we don’t bring in our big, yellow flashing road sign until the 15th of October but the wind has been taking so many of the letters off we decided we might as well. Some of the letters we found across the road in the weeds and others have not been found. Two of the L’s were blown off from the word FULL (as in Full Hk Ups) so I had to quickly replace those. Otherwise, someone could have been offended with just the F U with no L’s!

And talk about REALLY something strange! The other day, I could have sworn I heard a hummingbird go zooming past my office window screen. I knew that was not possible since I hadn’t seen any in about 3 weeks (and had taken the feeders down about that same time). So I figured it had to be a very speedy insect of some type. Tonight, Dan was doing some steaks on the grill and there was a hummer at what is left of the morning glories and then it zipped on past Dan out towards the cabins. I sure hope he or she keeps on heading south! And I sure hope this isn’t a sign of the kind of weather we can expect for the next several months! If it is going to be warm enough to keep hummers around till October 5th, THAT is scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive