Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, September 29, 2007

A HORSE WITH NO NAME

I was cleaning one of the cabins the other morning and was down on my knees with a rag and a bucket of water trying to clean up the floor by the shower. I heard this very loud “commotion” that sounded like it was coming from right outside the cabin by the foundation so I figured there was either a critter trying to get UNDER the cabin or it was already under the cabin and trying to get out. I’m at the age that once I’m down on my knees it is easier to stay there and finish what I am doing and THEN get up to look out a window. I managed to get up righted a couple minutes later and looked out the window. I couldn’t see a thing, so I continued cleaning. I was in the kitchenette area and I heard this racket again. Again it was coming from the rear of the cabin. I looked outside and still couldn’t see anything so I figured it had to be UNDER the cabin.

When I finished cleaning the cabin, I took a walk around to see if I could see any evidence of digging, etc. The only thing I saw was tracks that looked like they came from a HORSE! And this horse had to have been shod! Well, I knew that wasn’t possible and something else had to have made those tracks…maybe someone with a sense of humor and big old heeled boots??? Someone with a big old stick trying to be funny by etching tracks in the dirt??? I chalked it up to one of the Mysteries Of The Hour…MOTH for short.

On my way back to the office, I looked up and saw TWO HORSES TROTTING DOWN THE ROAD! If I HAD looked out the cabin and had seen a horse or two staring back at me, I probably would have thought I was still sleeping and it was a weird dream. Or it was a Mutant Moose!

Later that same morning, I headed into town and about ¼ of a mile south of us, there was a parade of sorts. A little blue truck with a white “pony” hitched to the back, a brown horse following the truck and pony, the Animal Control Officer with her bubble light going and another larger truck bringing up the rear with a bubble light going. I passed very slowly to the extreme left. I got beyond the parade and looked in my rearview mirror and the brown horse took off, up across a ditch and out into a big old grassy field (where OUR snowmobile trail crosses). I would have liked to have stayed and watched the merriment. It’s not too often the rodeo comes to Newberry. I think the reason the brown horse was not hitched to the lead truck was because they couldn’t catch him. He DID have a halter on…and evil in his eye.

I haven’t heard anything about it so at least there must not have been any vehicle/horse encounters and who knows? He could till be running free!

We have received quite a few emails supporting our effort to keep the 4 Mile Corner trail and to make it part of the TASA trail system. Our next TASA meeting is the 9th of October so you still have time to email me. PLEASE DO!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive