Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

AUTUMN HAS ARRIVED AND IT IS COLD, NEWBERRY

I PROCLAIM TODAY THE OFFICIAL START TO YOOPER LATE AUTUMN! The heavy socks and long underwear have been put to use!

I figured when I woke up with hives on my feet and hands it had to be cold! We are at 34° this morning! Brrrr!!!!! It won’t be long and I’ll be sending out the information for “guess the first 2” of snowfall” contest! Actually, John Dee DOES have wet snow in our forecast! Nothing that will accumulate, but snow!!

I should have put the socks and long underwear on yesterday when I was mowing! OH, well, it gave me an excuse to take a break! Even with gloves and a coat on, I ended up with hives on my fingers, up my arms and on my ears! With the rain we’ve had the grass has been growing and so has the wildflowers and buckhorn. I THINK this will be the last “mow” of the season. I’m not completely done yet, but I made a dent in it! We’ve got a LOT to mow! It is nice when it doesn’t need it all at once!

The blackbirds and starlings are starting to flock. They are late this year compared to last year. Last year was a mild winter, snow wise. We did have some awfully cold nights though last season. I still haven’t seen any caterpillars; have you?

Snowmobile registrations in Michigan were way down last season. I can’t remember what the exact figure was but this is cause for concern as far as the grooming program goes. If you remember, the clubs in Michigan had to wait 45 days BEYOND the time they submitted their last paper work of the season before the State would even reimburse the clubs. With registrations down and those 45 days hanging over the clubs heads, who knows what kind of a grooming season it will be? You know all clubs will do their best to keep the trails in top shape but it takes that green stuff to keep us going. I guess time will tell.

Some people have written with the advice of using tomato soup or juice for a skunk smell remedy. Here is one that works much better and doesn’t leave seeds in the fur!

1 pkg frozen chopped spinach
½ c chopped green onions
½ c finely chopped parsley
1 tsp salt
1/8th tsp pepper

Hmmmm…that doesn’t look right??!!! HA! Just seeing if you are paying attention! That is for Spinach dip! Here’s the skunk recipe;

1 qt. hydrogen peroxide
¼ c baking soda
1 tsp Dawn dish soap
WASH THE OFFENDING ODOROUS PERSON OR PET, RINSE THOROUGHLY. REPEAT IF NECESSARY. DON’T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:08 PM

    About the skunk odor remedy: Apply it on your animal's fur when it's DRY! Wetting the dog's fur first cuases the skunk oils to travel up the hair shaft and penetrate the follicles (according to our local dog washer). And Cathy, have your husband use a 22 next time--forget the bb!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that hint! I didn't even know that! It makes sense!

    About the 22, it is difficult to do that when we have guests in the park....but I know what ya mean!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive