Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

YOOPERS UNITE!

While we did get some rain in our area last night, it isn’t enough. Not NEARLY enough. I don’t know how much rain there may have been to the north of us. I would like to believe it was more than we got, but haven’t had any reports yet. It does lift one’s heart to at least have some rain, no matter what the piddley amount might be.

As I understand it, one of the KEY people of the “behind the scenes” of this whole fire fighting effort is going to be returning to her home downstate. A big pat on the back and two thumbs up for; Ada M. Takacs, Department Analyst, Michigan Dept of Natural Resources, Forest, Mineral and Fire Mgt Division.

I stopped by the DNR field office the other day so I could meet Ada and thank her in person but she (and several others) were still in the morning planning meeting. Ada has provided up to the minute information for anyone and everyone. She is also the DNR officer who took it upon herself to try to contact the group who cancelled their reservations over a week ago. She has been working non stop, like everyone else I’m sure, from before sun up till 10-11 p.m. at night. Ada is just one example of all the countless personnel involved in this whole event.

Ada, I don’t know if you’ll read this or not, but on behalf of everyone in our community and all of those who keep track of the fire via the posts and info from your office, THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU AND YOUR GROUP HAS DONE AND CONTINUE TO DO. I hope you did receive my email before departing last night.

On another note, U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow, Michigan, was on a short TV interview the other night explaining how FEMA has not been “forthcoming” with any funds to help with the Sleeper Lake Fire (I thought that was one of the BIG points of declaring this event a State of Emergency??). So far we know the fire has cost Michigan in excess of $4 million so far. That is a big dent in the DNR budget. Maybe us Yoopers will have to do a Sleeper Lake Fund raiser of some kind and get those funds to the appropriate person to make sure the funds GO DIRECTLY INTO THE FIRE FUND. People from Michigan have to stand on their own two feet, and it seems like especially people in da U.P. have gotten use to that aspect of life in Michigan. I have heard comments from down state people who feel that the U.P. should “not be entitled” to any funding to pay for this fire and it should be “our” responsibility to take care of our own back yard! So, Yoopers unite! POP CAN DRIVE??? BAKE SALES??? A DONATION CAN AT THE BRIDGE??? Sorry, but this mentality drives me nuts. While WE may feel like we are in a different world up here, we really ARE a part of Michigan! And we are PROUD to be Yoopers!

9 comments:

  1. Please don't lump all trolls with that attitude.........were all from the great state of Michigan.

    I've already sent and dropped off supplies....and will continue.

    Pray for rain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I didn't mean to offend anyone and you are right. I KNOW we are ALL from Michigan. But some of the posts that I have read on other pages and comments that I have read on other websites and some of the emails that I have received sure put a hurt in a person's attitude. I know the good outweights the few who have the bad attitude of "let the Yoopers help themselves", so my apologies to anyone who thinks that I was lumping any "trolls" in that basket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Cathy, I was once a troll, I think now my husband considers me a transplant. I know what you're talking about with the people’s attitude from downstate and how they don't think the UP is part of Michigan. Even Granholm in one of her speeches held up her hand to show Michigan and there was no UP. Thankfully all the trolls aren't like that. My mom, a troll about 4 hours away, was trying to figure out how she could help with the laundry and finally realized that she really couldn’t. So although some trolls don’t want the UP to have any of the money, there are other trolls that have been helping out and sending money and supplies to the men and women up here. Let’s just hope that the ungrateful trolls stay down there, maybe their children will grow up to be smarter then their parents and realize how wonderful the UP really is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose Mary Noack1:48 PM

    I, personally, think that the UP is the best part of our state. I don't know of anyone here in the Alma area who thinks that the UP is not as deserving of aid as the Lower Peninsula.

    I was at Walmart, here in Alma, MI, the other day and was wearing a Pine Stump Junction T-shirt. Three people that I didn't know stopped me and asked me how things were going up there. All three of them said they had been to that area and loved it.

    Keep up the good work with your site. I don't even check the other sites anymore, just yours. It is the most up-to-date. THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, the U.P. IS the best place to live! And to think, as a kid, my parents brought me up here kicking and screaming (me NOT them!). Dan and I are blessed to live here and thank God each day for our "slice of heaven".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose Mary, It is amazing how some people hear about the fire and others haven't heard a thing...one of our kids down by Shipsee didn't know a thing about it! The other one who lives near Lansing said that they hardly hear anything about it on the radio. My daughter, near Athens, said she has heard about it but wouldn't have known that much if I hadn't been keeping her informed.

    Thank you for the appreciation of the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose Mary Noack2:25 PM

    There are updates on the fire on TV stations here almost every day. Also, the local newspaper has updates nearly every day. I have already read them on your site before the TV or newspaper has them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am from Ohio and called in a donation to the IGA, would love to do more. If you guys need any more rain Findlay, OH has plenty of it that they would love to send you.


    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. two trax, That was very generous of you...and about the rain...it is unbelievable what is going on in some of the states! All the flooding! And other areas that need it cannot get it. Our ground is SO HARD that if it rained 2" here, it'd probably stand ON the ground and the sun would evaporate it before it soaked in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive