Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, August 19, 2007

THE WORLD OF BIRDS

When you have time, check out this link;

http://www.redstartimages.com/

A man emailed me this a.m. about my hummer photos and sent me a link to his website. Every photo on this site is amazing, but some are absolutely amazing! I told him that when I am rich and famous, I am going to buy a better digital camera. I truly miss taking the time (or having the time) to get good photos. This man must have a world of patience.

Before the world of digital photography, Dan, my hubby, felt like a pack mule. I would take my tripod, my 35mm camera and bag, the additional padded case for the big lens and usually a camcorder (again this was WAY back when so the camcorders were HUGE). Most of these excursions were in Pigeon River Forest outside of Vanderbilt, Michigan. We'd camp out in the woods, away from every one. This was usually the first 10 days of October for the opening of bow season. So not only were we carrying all this photography equipment with us, we each had our bows. Being dressed in camo from head to foot helped a lot in getting some good shots of the Michigan elk...and by shots, I mean photos. I just wish digital existed then!

At one point, I had my camera all set up on the tripod, in the woods over looking a field of rye. I had a tiny little deer get so close to me that I finally had to say "shoo" under my breath so it would get out of the range of vision of my camera. I was waiting for the elk to come out and that little deer was in the way. You can see how serious I was about hunting! No, I wouldn't even consider shooting a small deer and YES, I WAS more interested in taking pix of the elk! Anyway, Dan is appreciative of the digital cameras and the little bitty camcorders. I can be my own "pack mule" now!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:11 PM

    Hi - I was wondering how the Oswald Bear Ranch bears are doing with this fire? No comments are posted about them on their web site. I found your blog after searching in google and you do mention the ranch - do you know anything about what they are doing to protect the bears? They can't move them I wouldn't think. We were up in June and I got to hold one of the cubs - so I was wondering how they are all holding out. Thanks to all the fire fighters!
    take care,
    NT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it's me again. I wasn't sure if you got my question about how the bears are doing at Oswald's Bear Ranch. Anyway I wanted to thank the fire fighters a bunch for all their difficult work and dedication. And I also wanted to say that that bird site that you put up a link for was Fantastic! What a great bunch of bird photos! Such beautiful color! thanks!
    NT

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bears are fine and have been all along. The fire is not in an area near the bears and even when things were "worse" the bears didn't seem bothered at all. In other words, they weren't noticing any smoke smell, etc. Jewel and Dean said the bears were not and haven't been nervous. So all is well in their little corner of the U.P! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update on the bears! I appreciate it.
    :)
    NT

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are more than welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive