Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

UPDATE ON SLEEPER FIRE

1/3" of rain was received. It didn't stop the fire by any means but things have slowed down considerably! We are up to 19,269 burned acres.

The way this was described on the recorded message brought tears to my eyes. To the effect (this isn't word for word) "The blackened faces of the firefighters turned upwards welcoming the rain"...doesn't that just give you an image in your mind??? And a lump in your throat?

On a personal note, the wind doesn't seem to be to bad yet. With the rain, and the fact that the fire has settled down a bit, this could turn out to be a VERY good day.

If you are wanting to help, consider taking donations of sandwiches (no mayo, eggs or peanut butter), cookies, chips, energy bars, bottles of Gatorade and water, jerky, cheese sticks, etc. The latest request calls for zip-lock sandwich bags and bite size veggies and fruit. Items can be dropped off at the command center at 4 Mile Corner market or the Luce Co. comm. Resource Center, formally YAP.

5 comments:

  1. Rose Mary Noack12:13 PM

    I just found your site, thanks to an email from a friend, M.E. Harris, at Deer Park. My sister and her husband, Scott and Elsie Simmons, own the bar at Pine Stump, so I have been worried about them. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,
    Thanks so much for keeping us posted on the fire. Your latest entry surely did put a "lump in my throat". May God watch over all of you who are effected and especially the fire fighters. I'm a SW Michigan troll but cheered like a Yooper last evening when the radar showed rain in Luce County. Wishing you the best of luck, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, You are more than welcome! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who tends to get emotional. And I COULD hear you cheering all the way up here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shondra6:28 PM

    Thank you so much for so diligently (sp) keeping you site updated. What a blessing it has been to get such up to date info on the fire. I am a member of the Spile Dam Club (located just south of the EBS club) and live in St. Johns just north of Lansing. I check your site several times a day to see where the fire is headed. Thank you and God bless. Everyone up there is in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shondra and Rose Mary (and anyone else I might have missed), I will do my best to bring you the most accurate information that I can gather. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive