Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, August 17, 2007

SLEEPER FIRE UPDATE 8 P.M. AUGUST 17

Tomorrow will be a happy day but yet a sad day. The Blawk Hawks will be leaving us. They will be flying in formation around noon over the community of Newberry, so try to come out and wave them a thanks.

And this IS good news that they are no longer needed.

The fire is at 18,020 acres and is 65% contained. The parameter of the fire has NOT GROWN IN SEVERAL DAYS!!!

The winds today were clocked at 35 mph and several trees along CR 407 were knocked down . Tomorrow the wind is supposed to be 3-7 mph which will make the flare ups much more manageable.

I learned today that this is primarily a duff fire which means most of the fire is underground. However, if it surfaces and catches on unburned fuel, there's flame. I had never heard that expression used before, not as far as a fire goes any way. I think we've all learned a lot in the last two weeks!

I'm pretty sure this will be the last post of the night! It won't be long and our fire fighters will be returning to their tents for the evening. I hope the guys and gals from Missouri brought heavy sleeping bags and long underwear! IT is supposed to be in the upper 30's here tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive