Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, August 09, 2007

SLEEPER FIRE AND PERSONAL THOUGHTS

I shouldn't have seen the State of Emergency as a doom and gloom and I'm sorry I came across that way. This is something we should see in a positive light because it means we are going to continue to get the help we need, at least till September 5th. And we HAVE to believe we won't need it that long.

This morning is foggy in areas and the grass is WET!!! This is wonderful news!! It was a cool, damp night and last I knew the wind wasn't supposed to be that bad today.

Rumors continue to be a very bad problem. I have had more than 3 people now tell me that they had been told by the downstate Michigan State Police to not even come to the U.P. It wasn't just to not come to OUR area (which there is no reason to even tell them that!) but to not even cross the bridge!! I realize there is always the possibility that the people who have told me that may also be trying to CREATE rumors or trouble....but ya never know.

I also had a family call me last night from St. Ignace, where they were staying. They are due to check in with us today in our Little Lodge but THEY were told that they can't even get to the Falls and the Falls is closed!!! THEY WERE TOLD THIS AT THE BRIDGE WHEN THEY PAID THEIR TOLL!!!

We had one reservation we were expecting yesterday that never did show up and never called, so I don't know if he thought we weren't open or if something has happened to him along the way. Where we normally would be averaging 30 -35 campers per night (out of 50 sites), we have 10....it is going to be very difficult to make that up.

The motels in town are fairing well through this because of the need for rooms for all of the workers.

If you want to do something to help, you can PLEASE HELP SQUASH THESE RUMORS! The U.P., especially the Newberry area , IS open for business.

I don't have a new update for you yet, but you know I'll be back when I do. Oh, and if you or anyone you know can't get onto this site each time you try, it is most likely due to the # of people trying to access it or that I might be updating it.

3 comments:

  1. Rick & Jackie7:02 AM

    Good morning, Cathy! My husband and I have been checking your website several times each day and appreciate all your effort. We are members of the East Branch Club and your website has been a great comfort to us and has helped us keep current with news about what's going on up there. The next time we're up, we hope to stop by your place to express our thanks personally. Can't wait to meet you and see your campground--almost feel like we know you. :o) Take care--Rick & Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick and Jackie,
    Dan and I have lived here for 15 years and we have heard more names of more places and little lakes that we didn't even know existed! Once this is all over with and travel is safe, we are going to take that "new road" that was made from M-123 to CR 407 and see what is out there (besides charred ground).

    Please DO stop in and introduce yourselves and see our campground.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:56 AM

    As a small business owner in Sanford MI (and becoming a land owner in the UP as of this weekend), my advice about the "scare and rumors" is:

    Get together with the local business', such as the bear ranch, other hotel/campground owners and issue a press release. There are forms all over the internet for this.

    In the release state that you are open for business, tell them that the DNR has made allowances for tourists to get to the bear ranch, that the falls are open, and mention some of the great things to see and do there.

    Go go google and search for "michigan television stations" and the same for radio, email the press release to EVERYONE and chances are that 20% of the stations will report the info.

    It will HELP but not CURE the situation.

    I am coming UP this weekend, and when I stop at the bridge, I will make mention of the comments you posted about the UP being closed, etc.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive