Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

AUGUST 14, 2007 5 P.M. UPDATE

Not much new to report.

The fire is up to 18,680 acres and the increase is due to more back burns they are still performing. There are additional hand crews coming to get in where they can't go with the heavy equipment.

The 16 various fire deparment trucks that have been assisting are now down to 3 which is GOOD! This means the fear of structural damage has diminished greatly.

Today Dan and I saw a Black Hawk fly over, headed north, but it didn't have a Bambi bucket on it so we kind of wondered what was up with that. We just heard that they did an "infared" flight over the fire area to find any potential hot spots, so MAYBE that is what that particular chopper was being used for.

BTW, in case you wondered why that big bucket is called a Bambi bucket it is because of the fire crews trying to save all the Bambi's of the forest...remember the fire in the movie BAMBI??

I noticed on the Black Hawk that was on display that someone had written "SNOW WHITE towards the rear of the chopper. I asked the Captain about that and he said that they had all started calling each other names like grumpy, or sleepy so they decided to dubb their chopper SNOW WHITE.

2 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    Thanks for all your updates. We aren't hearing anything downstate, which is as annoying as it can be, and I am relying on you! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    You are very welcome. My family lives WAY down state and the info they are getting still isn't correct info.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive