Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, July 01, 2007

SHE'S A MOM, A GRANDMA, A WIFE AND A FRIEND

I want to tell you about a friend of mine. She and her family are going through a rough time at the present. Some of you may know her and her hubby, or at least the businesses they own.

I'm talking about Maggie Pike. She and her hubby, Robb, own and operate Abner's Restaurant in the Soo and also the Newberry KOA. Maggie and I were introduced about 2-3 years ago and I feel we have gotten quite fond of each other. Of course, being campground owners, we compare "war stories" and complain about the Michigan economy, but we have gotten to know each other on a personal level as well. She sometimes would drop by for a visit and a cup of coffee and if Dan and I were in the Soo, we'd try to time it so we could have lunch at Abner's. I have found Maggie is a strong willed woman and very strong in her faith...which is going to help her through this battle.

I guess it has been close to 3 weeks ago by now that Maggie wasn't feeling well at all. In fact, she thought she possibly could be having a stroke. She was transferred to the Northern Michigan Hospital in Petoskey. Long story short, there was a mass behind her eye which they removed and was cancer. They feel they got all of it and the last tests showed it was "gone". However, in the meantime, they also found a spot on one of Maggie's lungs. She is currently on her way (or has arrived) to Mayo in Mn.

If any of you know Maggie and want to visit a website that has been created for friends and family to stay in touch, here is the link;

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/maggiepike.


Now, on a brighter note...remember the story with the chair Dan was gonna fix?? We have seen 4 more of those types of chairs go in the dumpster! And they stayed there! Maybe old wooden camp stools are still the best bet???

ENJOY THE 4TH!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive