Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

PART OF OUR LIFE AS A YOOPER

I know that we have talked, in the past, about how Dan and I came to be in “da U.P.” and how we ended up with this campground. And I know you have “listened” to my complaints about all the things a campground owner has to contend with as far as State regulations and the fees that are involved with the State and the County Health Department, all the inspections, the various licenses and on and on, but you must know, even with all that complaining, WE LOVE OUR PLACE AND THERE ISN’T ANYPLACE ELSE WE WOULD RATHER BE RIGHT NOW!


This spring, when the cherry trees were all in blossom, I would look out at the campground and get a lump in my throat just from the beauty of it all. And I would give thanks that we have had this opportunity to live here and to build this business up from nothing at all to what it is today. Oh, I will be the first to admit, I wish the price of gas wasn’t so darn unpredictable and that the Michigan economy was better. Both of those items have gotten so they affect people’s travel plans more so than the weather.


But be that as it may (I always wanted an excuse to write that phrase!!), Dan and I DO enjoy our life here and to help me prove it to you, I am sharing a "song" with ya. I may have published this “song” for you before, but for those of you just tuning in who haven’t visited the Yooper Yarns archives, here it is for you.


DA SECOND MONT OF OWNING A CAMPGROUND (written by C. Clementz in 1992)

(SUNG T O DA TUNE OF DA SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP BY DA YOOPERS. . DA YOOPERS IS DA FAMOUS MUSICIANS FROM DA U.P. Please visit their official website at www.dayoopers.com) )

It’s da second mont of being
A campground owner you see
We’ve lived here almost 2 monts
In da Great U.P.
Da only time we’re in da house
Is when we want to sleep
It’s da second mont of being
A campground owner you see.

We work real hard and mow da yard
And dig da fire pit ring
We transplant trees and kill big bees
And hope we don’t get sting
Da only time we’re in da house
Is when we want to sleep
It’s da second mont of living
In da Great U.P.

Dan, he is working in da sewer lagoon
He’s working cutting cattails
Morning, night and noon.
He’s wearing tigh high waders
And wading in da shit
Only 100 more yards to go
And he can call it quit

Me, I’ve been painting
And trimming up da trees
I feel like I’ve been working here
Since 1963
Da bears are eating our berries
And da fox are running free
It’s da second mont of living
In da Great U.P.

We haven’t had a chance to
Even look around
Anything we’ve seen is
Located on our ground
Da work is fun, we’ll work till it’s done
Den we’ll go to sleep
It’s da second mont of living
In da Great U.P.


Sometime, I will have to continue on from that point, because a great deal more has happened in the past 15 years!

This story will be continued…eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive