Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, July 01, 2007


Eskimo, 81, survives 28 days alone in Arctic
By Canada correspondent Richard Reynolds
Posted 8 hours 14 minutes ago
Canadians are marvelling at the tale of an Inuit, or Eskimo hunter, who went off hunting on June 1 and got stuck in a remote area of the high Arctic, all alone, for 28 days.

He survived in the world's most unforgiving terrain on six fish and two birds he managed to catch.

The most remarkable thing about Enoki Kunuk's story is that this hunter is 81 years old.
He went hunting for polar bears, but the snow and ice began to melt a bit earlier than he expected and his snowmobile got stuck in deep slush.

After he was gone for more than a week, residents of his home village of Igloolik got concerned and called in the military to search for him.

The military gave up after 10 days, but his friends and family did not.

After 28 days they found him and brought him home, where they through a lavish feast in his honour.

His family shrugged off shocked southerners, saying they never doubted he would find his way home.

Snowmobile getaway in June?
By Doug Smith, Star Tribune
Last update: June 30, 2007 – 11:48 PM
File this one under "news of the weird."

Authorities arrested a 29-year-old man recently after the guy stole a snowmobile from a hangar at the Grand Rapids-Itasca County Airport, then tried to make his getaway on the sled by skimming across nearby Lily Lake.

Yes, it's June.

No, he didn't make it.

"He made it several hundred yards across the water before running out of gas," said Jim Martinetto, commander of the Grand Rapids Police Department.

Turns out the fuel line was shut off.

The 2005 Skidoo sank, and the thief swam for shore. Two DNR conservation officers borrowed a rowboat to pluck the guy from the water and turn him over to awaiting police.

They gave him a drier ride -- to jail.

"It's definitely strange," Martinetto said. "We see a lot of snowmobile thefts, but you don't see them in the summertime."

The incident occurred shortly after noon, and there was no evidence that alcohol was involved.
So where would the guy have gone on a snowmobile even if he had made it across the lake?
"Nowhere," Martinetto said. "There was a chain-link fence on the other side of the lake. The whole airport is fenced in to keep deer out."

Officers retrieved the snowmobile.

"It was bright yellow, so it was easy to see in the water," Martinetto said.
He said the man faces burglary and theft of a motor vehicle charges.

Fishing for an excuse
Conservation officer Neil Freborg of Lake George encountered a nonresident angler who proudly displayed his first muskie. Unfortunately, it was 14 inches under the minimum legal length. While explaining the regulations and writing out a ticket, Freborg was surprised the angler said getting a ticket was fine with him.

Wrote Freborg in his report: "He further explained that he was currently on his honeymoon and had taken his new bride back to shore quite some time ago. Apparently she had called him several times requesting his return. He had chosen to ignore her requests and continued to fish. He figured with the ticket, he had an excuse and the evidence to show his bride why he was late.
"The officer wished him luck with his marriage."

From the field
Here are some other recent reports from DNR conservation officers:
• There was the case of the angler whose crawler was grabbed by a seagull. The angler reeled the bird in and conservation officer Mary Manning of Hovland held it while the angler removed the hook with pliers.
"The bird gave a quick 'honk, honk' and was on its way," Manning reported.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive